Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Msunn

WRT120N and G range expander?

I have a WRT120N router and bought a G range expander to extend the signal to a hard to reach part of my house.

I've had some problems using these together.

Are these compatible since the modem is N and the extender is G?

My setup is as follows 

DSL modem feeding the WRT120 and ethernet cable to my wife's computer which she uses to work from home.

A Macbook that I use upstairs getting the signal from the WRT120. An Imac downstairs that only gets a signal from the expander.

When I plug up the expander the signal upstairs starts having problems with the connection hanging up taking long to get to pages, sometimes getting "you are not connected to the internet" If I unplug the expander this computer does fine with the router.

If I plug in the expander and use only the computer downstairs it works pretty well.

So back to is it ok to use the G range expander with the WRT120 or is there a better set up procedure?

Thanks very much for the help.

dibbler

Re: WRT120N and G range expander?

It is not recommended to use WRE54G range expander with Wireless N router.

Try changing the wireless channel on the router and see if there is any improvement in wireless signal strength.

kawal

wireless-N and wireless-G are two completely different signal frequencies. you may be able to use your range expander on the router, but on wireless-G mode only. but like what he said, it is not recommended.

Msunn

Thanks for the replies.

So is there a N range expander. How do I go about extending the signal with the WRT120N?

Thanks

Expert
sabretooth

How far do you need the signal to go?  N range is lucky to get 230 feet indoors on a good day, downwind in daylight.

Msunn

It's not a far distance, its more about down a staircase  through a cinder block wall etc. When I use the G range expander it works fine for extending the signal, but just has the compatibility issues with the router.

Msunn

Here's another question...... Can the WRT120N be used as a repeater?  

I didn't see that option in the set up software. Is it possible?

Thanks!

Gollum

It is not possible to use WRT120N as a range expander.

If it is not a long distance then you can try changing the wireless channel on the router.

You can also try to upgrade/re-flash the firmware on your router.

Connect the computer to the router with the Ethernet cable. Download the latest firmware from Linksys website and save it on your computer. Open the setup page of the router and upgrade the firmware on your router.

After upgrading the firmware on your router, reset the router and reconfigure it. Press and hold the reset button on the router for 30 seconds. Release the reset button and wait for 30 seconds. Power cycle the router and reconfigure it.

Msunn

Thanks for the reply but the router is working fine if you look at my first post. The problem is extending the signal. I thought may be I could use two of these if it was able to do that. So please tell me how to extend the signal with this router since the G range expander is not compatible. thanks

Gollum

You can try using wireless access point WAP4410N which has a repeater mode.

Or you can try using the combination of wireless bridge ( WET610N ) and wireless access point ( WAP610N ).