Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
LarryCC

WRT160N DNS Issues

Is anyone else having trouble with resolving DNS entries with their WRT160Nv2? 

By resolving I mean, every once in a while, it browsers will just hang and say "Looking up ____...."  When using nslookup, it says DNS timeout.

DNS request timed out

timeout was x seconds
Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Timed out
Default servers are not available
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 

I have the firmware 2.0.02_11 installed.  Hooking directly up to the modem, I can resolve entries consistently.  When I plug in the router, it works for a little, but becomes very unstable after some time.  I spoke with support about this and they suggested changing the IP of the router, as well as lowering the MTU to 1400.  Both did not improve stability.

Thanks,

Larry

LarryCC

Re: WRT160N DNS Issues

Also when I try to resolve an address I get the following...

> linksys.com
Server:  ns.inflow.pa.bo.comcast.net
Address:  68.87.64.196

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to ns.inflow.pa.bo.comcast.net timed-out

gandalf

Does this happen on all the computers in the network or a specific computer...
LarryCC

All computers...
The Factor

I have the same problem...same exact thing so this will help, so far the only way that I have been able to load pages is if I disable 'Filter Anonymous Internet Requests'.
The Factor

[ Edited ]

Larry,

I have seem to fixed mine, I turned off DHCP (according to my internet provider thats what I should do) and turned it to Static IP and now it works awesome!  Maybe that will help you....

Good Luck!  I will try and help because I know how annoying this problem is.

Message Edited by The Factor on 12-03-2008 03:42 AM
The Factor

Well this worked for one day then for some reason quit working, it worked great yesterday and now it doesn't seem to work at all again.
LarryCC

Mine has been acting a little better recently since I disabled "Filter Anonymous Internet Requests"  But every once in a while, it still hangs and does a DNS timeout.
Wally-Cisco

I'm having the EXACT same problem. It works great for a short time and then every web address times out or comes up very slow. It seems like it's a DNS issue -- if you keep trying the address, it will eventually load the website. Same thing with checking or sending email.

I just unchecked Filter Anonymous Internet Requests so I'm going to see if it helps!?

Firmware - firmware 2.0.02_11

gamma

Ever since the upgrade to 2.0.2 build 11 I've also been having DNS issues. My router came with 2.0.2 build 8 installed on it and worked flawlessly. Looking at the changelog between the two versions I see this entry "Fixed DNS Vulnerability
." I think the fix for this issue broke DNS on the router.

I've tried setting a static IP and allowing anonymous requests, but the router is still acting up. If there isn't network activity for a while I'm unable to resolve DNS entries, but am still able to access my router via the web interface.

The only solution to fix my DNS issues is to unplug the router and plug it back in.

Is there any way to downgrade back down to build 8? Is Linksys aware of this issue? Should I return the router to the store and purchase another one?