Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Teck

Re: WRT160N - Needs reboot many times / week to connect

Yes, that's what I'm suspecting.  It looks like a heat issue.

My router gets extremely hot at the bottom.  I mean really really hot.  I'm not sure if that would cause the router to hang.

I hope I don't have to run a 24/7 fan blowing at it.. I mean aren't they supposed to operate in normal temperatures?  Guess we'll have to wait for next firmware to see if it fixes the issue.
Wooduck

I am also seeing this problem. I just purchased a WRT160N and last night both of the laptops connected to it lost connection. One of the laptops is a Lenovo and the other is a Toshiba with a Netgear WG511 PCMCIA card. Does anyone know how to check the logs on the router?
gwhizkids

A progress report -- since I made some of the modifications to the router configuration suggested in this thread, I have had no dropped connections. The router also seems to be playing less havoc with my work VPN.

Its hard to say whether it was those config changes or the fact that I've got the router tipped up at 45 degrees to allow air to circulate at the router's base. If this good behavior keeps up, I'll put the router back down on its base and see if that causes any drops. If not, I'll put the MTU back where it was (1490) to see if that's the culprit.

Stay tuned.
aiiee

My progress report: on 5/18 Linksys tech support recommended I change the band from wide to standard , and changed the channel from 6 to 1. It seems to have worked! For 10 days now, the longest stretch since I purchased the router, I have had no problems connecting! Good job Linksys! ( that only hurt a little bit :smileyhappy:)
gwhizkids

I may need to try what you've done. No sooner than I posted my last "progress report" did the router go out again. This is really very annoying; even moreso for the rest of my family which doesn't feel comfortable unplugging the router. The constant rebooting can't be good for the router, either.
rockywwf

I agree.  I don't think it is good for the router at all!
Daksol

Re: WRT160N - A Radical Fix to Wireless Instability via DD-WRT

L+G
I bought a WRT160N recently and have suffered from the same kind  of wireless network instability described in this thread (and in quite a few other threads in this forum, and other places).  Like others I wish I had done a bit more homework.

Here is the good news - for the determined and the desperate at least!!

In a number of places you may see links to "DD-WRT" as an alternative source of firmware.  This site http://www.dd-wrt.com is produced by a group who have created sets of alternative firmware in open source / free software mode for a wide range of devices, including those using the Broadcom chipset as does the Linksys.

I downloaded the replacement firmware and installed it.  It provides a replaced admin interface which is well arranged and easy enough to use.  Maybe not ideal for the ultra-novice as no super-simple wizard setup, but I did not find it difficult.

Wireless networking has been fine since, no drop-outs, no re-starts etc.

Page for new firmware for the Linksys Broadcom units (which include the WRT160N) at this page
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fv24-sp1%2FBroadcom%2FLinksys/
From there download the correct firmware.  Read usual disclaimers, and install.

Other sources:-
Useful tutorial style video with good advice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz5-2L1BXnM

hradec

I just want to share a dirty solution with everybody. I'm experience the same problem as everyone... from time to time, the internet gets really slown, or just disapears... after rebooting, everything works fine again.

My solution was quick and dirty... a python script that reboots the wrt260n from time to time... I put it to run every 6 hours on my appletv running linux, and works great so far... 

this is the python script... just copy/paste the code under the "----8<-----" line in a file named rebootWRT160N.py and run... if you're running windows, just install python from python.org, and double click the rebootWRT160N.py file to test. I suppose you can schedule the script to run from time to time on windows, but I'm not sure how... 

after you execute the script, the router will reboot. 

have fun and let me know if this helps!! (maaan... I love python!!)

Haaa... almost forgot... don't forget to change the passwd and ip address for the correct ones in your system.

----------8<-------------------8<-------------------8<----------------

#!/usr/bin/env python

import urllib

def reboot( url ):
    query_args = { 'action':'Reboot' }
    encoded_args = urllib.urlencode(query_args)
    print urllib.urlopen(url, encoded_args).read()

reboot( 'http://admin:smileytongue:asswd@192.168.1.1/apply.cgi' )

hradec

Here is a second version, where you just need to pass the passwd and the ip to the reboot function. (this should fix the emoticon icon that was showed in the previous post )

----8<-------8<---------8<----8<-------8<---------8<----8<-------8<---------8<-----

#!/usr/bin/env python

import urllib

def reboot( passwd='admin', ip='192.168.1.1' ):
    url = 'http://admin:%s@%s/apply.cgi' % (passwd, ip)
    query_args = { 'action':'Reboot' }
    encoded_args = urllib.urlencode(query_args)
    print urllib.urlopen(url, encoded_args).read()

reboot( 'passwd', '192.168.1.1' )

mattwithcats

[ Edited ]

Had the same problem myself.

Note:  There is no DD-WRT firmware for the Version 2 or version 3 of the WRT160N routers

Looks like a memory leak or not enough memory installed.

Had mine hooked to a light timer, it shut it down every day at 4 AM.

New firmware (version 15) is available, and seems to be stable.  Up for 24 and no problems....

http://www.nhpctech.org/downloads/WRT160Nv2_v2.0.0

2.015_US_code.bin

Message Edited by mattwithcats on 06-21-2009 10:50 AM