Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
sweatyman37

WRT160N Power light blinking.

So I recently upgraded from a WRT54GS to a WRT160N v2, all was well and good for about 3 days. Then I would lose my internet connection every 5 minutes or so, it would fix itself by the time I could open up command prompt and start pinging to pin point the problem. I decided I would update the firmware to see if that would fix the issue.  Since doing that the power light has been blinking non stop.  I've tried restoring it to factory defaults by holding the reset button for 30seconds, turning it off for 2 minutes and back on.  That little blue light just keeps flashing.  I can't even access the router setting page using 192.168.1.1.  My OS is  Windows xp x64 sp2, and I have DSL.  Any help would be appreciated as my roomate decided to throw the box away which also had my reciept in it.

Thanks in advance!

ridcully

Re: WRT160N Power light blinking.

First connect your modem and download the router's firmware...

Download the Firmware from here

Download TFTP Utility 36.0 KB...

Hard reset your router :
Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...If the power light is solid you may download and upgrade the firmware...Also make sure that your computer is set to obtain IP automatically, disable any firewalls, security softwares on the computer before trying to access the setup page.

If the power light is still blinking, reset your router again for a minute...After resetting the router check the lights again...

If the power light is still blinking you need to assign your computer a static ip address,

Click on the Start button >>> Settings >>> Control Panel >>>Network Connections- Right click on the icon for Local area connection and go to properties- On the 'General' tab select 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' and click on the Properties button- Select 'Use the following IP address'- Provide IP Address - 192.168.1.5 Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1, click on ok button to Save and Click on "Close" on main Properties window...

Click Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt...A black box will appear(Command Prompt)...In the Command Prompt window type ping 192.168.1.1 and press Enter, if you get 4 Replies then you should be able to upgrade your router's firmware...If you get Request Time Out then you should try to disable any firewalls, security softwares on the computer and then try to ping the router...If it does not ping then reduce the ethernet card speed to half duplex and then try to ping...

At any point if you want to upgrade the router's firmware here are the instructions :

Double click the tftp.exe file and click run :
For Server- Enter the IP Address of the router that you assigned.  By default, the router is 192.168.1.1...
For Password- Enter the password you assigned the router. By default, the router’s password is “admin”.
For File- Click the triple “…” button and browse for the .bin firmware file...
Click Upgrade button to start upgrading.  A progress bar should show up to show the progress.

Once the Upgrade is done press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

If all the above fails, then you need to get your router replaced...

lgoeb

Thank you very, very much Ridcully for your post above.  My firmware downgrade failed (tried fixing DNS error settings caused by firmware v. 11) and then I had a blinking power light that a hard reset, power cycle, and banging the router on the desk did not fix.  Yes, I even tried banging it on the desk because at that point I didn't care if I broke it or not.  Kudos to Linksys for making quite a durable shell on their routers.  After much searching, trials, tribulations, and tirades I was finally able to find your post and downloaded everything you suggested.  By the way, yours is the only link on the entire forum site I could find that would work for the TFTP utility.  All others gave me a 505 error message. 

Once I had assigned a static IP address, opened the TFTP utility, and then reloaded the firmware I only had to perform a hard reset and power cycle on my router and it was functioning perfectly!!!  I have no more "page not loaded errors" and I can connect to the 192.168.1.1 site to update my settings once again.

For being just an accounting nerd I feel like such a technologically advanced geek!!  I can't wait to tell all my techie friends at work what I was able to do!  You rock!!!

sparticus

I just wanted to say that you are a genius! I too had the same problem and I did what you told me to do...worked perfectly, thanks for the help even though you didn't know you were helping me too.
4got10jedi

God bless you, sweet stranger.
Pheucha

I was updating the firmware of my WRT160N v2 with hopes that my random connectivity issues would be resolved. in doing so, a quarter way through the upgrade everything froze and my router was deemed inoperable. the power light blinks rapidly and consistantly. I've tried following your steps but to no avail it didn't work. 

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.5: Destination host unreachable.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),

and of course TFTP responds with "Cannot get connection from server". Yes I've tried it exactly as you had typed BUT this is the only way that seems to get a reponse, otherwise its 4 packets lost. Please tell me I don't have to buy a new router and there's a way to fix this.

bunnypress

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Problem:  Router lights blinking after I unpluged it. 

I called Cisco Linksys help line, giving them all the required information and having their representative check various details.  He told me I need a new router; was surprised that it was purchased in January, 2010.  He then proceeded to put me on hold and hung up on me . . . I wasn't even nasty . . . nor totally stupid . . . it was connected properly.

Called back, same senario . . . agent got chatty and wanted to know personal stuff and my AGE!!  Also said I needed to update my router; i.e., buy a new one!  Then he put me on hold and I was disconnected . . . AGAIN!

YOUR FIX:  I only pressed the reset button for 30 second, released it.  Then I unplugged the power cable from my router, waited 30 seconds and reconnected it.  It is now working!!!

(Mod Note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

bunnypress

Unfortunately . . . but fortunately I found your post . . . you are more knowledgeable than the Cisco Support Team!!!  Thanks.

loetek

[ Edited ]

Dear ridcully, I realize that this is an old post, but I just had the same problem with my Linksys WRT160N V2 router. I was attempting to upgrade the firmware, when it just stopped and I have had the blinking power light problem ever since. I couldn't get it working so I bought an AT&T 2Wire Router/Modem, but now I have wireless dropouts that never happened with the Linksys. I connected the WRT160N to one of the ports on the back of 2Wire, and tried your procedure. I shutdown ZoneAlarm and my anti-virus software, but still no-go. The Ping keeps failing. What am I doing wrong? Do you think the 2Wire Router/Modem Firewall software is interfering with it? Do you have any other recommendations for me to try? Thanks, Loetek

ridcully wrote:

First connect your modem and download the router's firmware...

Download the Firmware from here

Download TFTP Utility 36.0 KB...

Hard reset your router :
Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...If the power light is solid you may download and upgrade the firmware...Also make sure that your computer is set to obtain IP automatically, disable any firewalls, security softwares on the computer before trying to access the setup page.

If the power light is still blinking, reset your router again for a minute...After resetting the router check the lights again...

If the power light is still blinking you need to assign your computer a static ip address,

Click on the Start button >>> Settings >>> Control Panel >>>Network Connections- Right click on the icon for Local area connection and go to properties- On the 'General' tab select 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' and click on the Properties button- Select 'Use the following IP address'- Provide IP Address - 192.168.1.5 Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1, click on ok button to Save and Click on "Close" on main Properties window...

Click Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt...A black box will appear(Command Prompt)...In the Command Prompt window type ping 192.168.1.1 and press Enter, if you get 4 Replies then you should be able to upgrade your router's firmware...If you get Request Time Out then you should try to disable any firewalls, security softwares on the computer and then try to ping the router...If it does not ping then reduce the ethernet card speed to half duplex and then try to ping...

At any point if you want to upgrade the router's firmware here are the instructions :

Double click the tftp.exe file and click run :
For Server- Enter the IP Address of the router that you assigned.  By default, the router is 192.168.1.1...
For Password- Enter the password you assigned the router. By default, the router’s password is “admin”.
For File- Click the triple “…” button and browse for the .bin firmware file...
Click Upgrade button to start upgrading.  A progress bar should show up to show the progress.

Once the Upgrade is done press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

If all the above fails, then you need to get your router replaced...

jcapzz

I have to say, nothing was working for me, I kept getting the blinking power led. My last resort was to try the tftp solution. Tftp was not available at the link above. With no internet access on my computer, I did a Google search on my phone, found it under a different router model number and transferred it to my computer via usb. Set the ip address to 192.168.1.5 despaired with tftp and my router is within again. Yippie! I don't know if I needed it, but the net card was set to 10 mb half duplex when I ran tftp and reflashed. Thank you, so much. I thought I was going to need another new router.