cew478

Re: WRT160N V3 has serioius DNS issues

I would be interested in this information too.  My current Linksys router is going in the trash, so I'm in the market for a new one and would like to hear any feedback.

hanseric

pedro.rios wrote:

Just adding my complain to the many others here.

I got this problem early today, after having the WRT160N v3 for less than a week, and fortunately found this topic - with the workaround - and now things are working fine again.

It is... "disheartening" (I'm minding my words here) to see how they are treating their customers here. I used to trust Cisco, but not any more. I will probably return the router tomorrow.

If I had just purchased the 160N, my "workaround" would be to return it and get something else, I can tell you that.  I regret that it took so long for me to find this forum and the actual problem AND that I faithfully waited for Cisco to cough up a fix.  Now I'm passed the point of return, having had the router for several months now.

Meanwhile still no word from the slumbering Cisco giant except the occasional moderator censorship.

Expert
daikunzeon

You may now download the new firmware here

which should solve your DNS redirection concern.

zerosandones

Okay, I just finished reading all 25 pages of comments - it was quite the read!

Cisco, shame on you for taking over a year to fix this! Especially when it was claimed a solution was forthcoming months ago!!

Those of you who whined about not wanting to use the workaround? Boo-hoo! No, you shouldn't have to, I agree, but IT WORKS! And it doesn't take that much effort! So you might have to do 30 seconds of clicking twice a day, oh no! Or copy some text into a batch file to do it command line.. geez.. I understand the frustration, but it's not THAT much effort...

Anyway, there appears to be firmware update, FINALLY! I'll be checking it out, this is a really good modem aside from the one EASILY SOLVED gitch...

I just got a WRT160N refurb two weeks ago. Redirects started a week later... used the workaround I found here, and no more problems. It's a fantastic router, esp for the refurb discount price...

J.P., CCNA

sandenscot

Does anyone know if this firmware does the job?  It seems odd that it is dated in July and we are now saying that is the fix?  I am not doubting daikunzeon but I would just like some more confirmation before I install this upgrade

zerosandones

sandenscot,

I installed the firmware update today (after backing up the old version of course), and it seems to be working fine so far. 

I had used the workaround, but reset my DNS servers to DHCP instead of static, which means the router is once again my top DNS server.

I had started having this problem after having the router only a week, and it was happening constantly once it started... I couldn't make it a whole 10 minutes before it acted up again, even after flushing my DNS, repairing the connection, and powercycling or resetting the router... so I'm considering it a good sign that it's gone all day with no problems now.  I'll keep everyone posted on it, but it seems like they FINALLY got this resolved....

J.P., CCNA

sandenscot

Thanks I was using the work around cited by wbundrick in the first page of this topic and it works great, but everytime you take your laptop you need to go in and change the routing setting to find automatically.  I will give it another day or two and see what happens...thanks.

crypticmystic

Re: WRT160N V3 has serious DNS issues

[ Edited ]

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a tech company to provide a *firmware* update in a timely manner to an issue that affects almost every user of one of their products.  I've used several other routers, and when I saw this happen with no fix for months I came very close to pitching the router and going back to another brand...  Laziness is the *only* reason I didn't...

"Don't use this key feature" is not a great response from the company taking over the networking world  (I can't even *imagine* how much dumping there would be on Msft or Apple if networking was known to be unreliable and their official response was "whatever"... hmmm, wait similar things have happened .. nevermind)...

Anyway, Cisco *has* the resources to have *one* engineer look at repeatable bug in a central feature of a product with *their* name on it...   I have *no* qualms with keeping a vendor honest..

(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

hatals@hotmail.com

Perhaps the  router in not the problem 

I have a simple set up compared to a lot of you. I have the wrt160n v3 router with one desktop PC on the network. I was having similar problems most of you have commented on, clicking on a link and ending up on a different site. I ran 2 virus detection programs and neither found any malware. I then read an article about  how good the 'TheTechSupportForum' was at finding and fixing  suspected malware problems. When you post to the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help section, the people who help you solve your problems are very highly trained in that area. I followed the directions in the 'First Steps' link and a posted my problem. One of the support people replied to my post with further directions, The same guy worked with me until my problem were resolved ! I haven't had 'redirect' problems since.

the link to TheTechSupportForum is http://www.techsupportforum.com/

For people like me with only one PC on the network, it could be malware causing the problem not the router.  For those of you with several PC s all acting the same way, I have no idea if this could be your problem.

wbundrick

No, the router was definitely the problem. It is now fixed in the new firmware, version 3.0.03 build 003. I installed it and removed the workaround almost 2 months ago, and there have been no problems since.

I'm glad that it's finally fixed, but I'm disappointed that it took Cisco a year to fix it. I'm even more disappointed that nobody from Cisco actually responds to (or, apparently, even reads about) the problems in these forums. We only have moderators who edit our messages to comply with the rules.