esween

WRT160N firmware update?

I have had my WRT160N router for a few years now and I haven't had any problems with it until recently. When I connect to the internet I am able to surf the internet on my PC and my MacBook for approximately 15 minutes, after that time it says that my network strength is still strong, but when I open Chrome or Firefox I cannot connect to a page. I also have signal being sent to my MacBook, but after those 15 min, it says that Safari is unable to open any website/connect to the Internet. I don't think its a virus since it is impacting both my PC, my MacBook, and my iPad. Could my firmware need updating perhaps? Under my router it just says WRT160N, no version number, so from what I've read on other posts that means I have version 1, but on my EasyLink Advisor it just says I have Version No.: [bland space]. Is there any way to check and see if mine firmware is out of date, or can anyone think of another way to fix my router so that I do not have to buy a new one. Thanks for any advice

VALETLINKSYS

Re: WRT160N firmware update?

esween wrote:

I have had my WRT160N router for a few years now and I haven't had any problems with it until recently. When I connect to the internet I am able to surf the internet on my PC and my MacBook for approximately 15 minutes, after that time it says that my network strength is still strong, but when I open Chrome or Firefox I cannot connect to a page. I also have signal being sent to my MacBook, but after those 15 min, it says that Safari is unable to open any website/connect to the Internet. I don't think its a virus since it is impacting both my PC, my MacBook, and my iPad. Could my firmware need updating perhaps? Under my router it just says WRT160N, no version number, so from what I've read on other posts that means I have version 1, but on my EasyLink Advisor it just says I have Version No.: [bland space]. Is there any way to check and see if mine firmware is out of date, or can anyone think of another way to fix my router so that I do not have to buy a new one. Thanks for any advice

click on this link http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/WRT160N

- click downloads 

- select a hardware version (but can u post what the serial number of your router ?)

- the you will see if you have the latest fw

I believe that I can make it :smileyhappy:
earthmyrll120288

Re: WRT160N firmware update?

[ Edited ]

I'm assuming this happens to your wireless devices only, right? It could be some type of interference. Make sure your router is not too close to your modem. Make sure it is on a higher location so that it can broadcast the signal properly. Also reconfigure the wireless settings. Set the Radio Band/Channel widht to 20 mhz only. Set the Standard Channel from Auto to a specific number. You can use 1 or 6 or 11. Just play around with the channels. Those things should help you get a better connection. By the way, to check the firmware version of your router, you need to access the setup page and the firmware number is on the upper right hand corner of the setup page.

Also to isolate the concern, check the modem's connectivity. Connect your computer wired to the modem and observe the connection. If it is doing the same thing, then it is with the modem. You can refer to your Internet Service Provider to check if modem is working fine.

Intermittent wireless signal with 802.11N routers and access points

Accessing the router’s web-based setup page