bhall27

WRT160N keeps losing wireless signal

I'm not sure what it might be - the "wireless" light always stays on but my wireless devices continually get kicked off and then lose their connection for quite some time.  even powering off the router and waiting doesnt bring back the connection - my wired devices have no problem staying connected though.  Do I have a bad router or what might be causing the disconnect?

Thanks!

B.

kevj

Re: WRT160N keeps losing wireless signal

There is a known issue with intermittent connectivity and the Build 11 firmware for the WRT160N V2. Build 11 is the current firmware on the Linksys site. Check to see if you have Build 11 if your router is a V2.
Downgrading to Build 8 is generally accepted to correct these issues, however Linksys have indicated to several people they do not have the build 8 firmware to give to end users.

This is ONLY for WRT160N V2 routers. This firware will not work on WRT160N V1.

You can find it at http://audipages.com/router/

Follow the dowload and firmware downgrade instructions on that page.
-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
bhall27

Kevj,

thanks for the reply.  I believe I have v1 as there is no indication of a v# next to the serial or model number underneath.  When I get home I'll have to check the firmware.  How do i do that? If I have v1 are there any solutions to this?

thanks so much,

B.

hollowaymr

[ Edited ]

I had the same situation you describe and took the dubious step of downgrading to the older 1.02.xx US version from my 1.53 UK version. It has worked for me, but presumably is not supported - so I cannot exactly recommend it.

I certainly cannot return to the other firmware revision as it does not appear to be available.

Edit: Looks like it wasn't much of a solution, the intermittent loss of signal has returned.

Message Edited by hollowaymr on 03-26-2009 02:53 AM
unisilver

how many wireless computers are you using?

if there are more than one wireless computers and

only one is having a problem then you may also need to update

the wireless adapter on your computer.

are all the wireless computers experiencing the same issue?

try to check the firmware version of your router :

first determine the default gateway

for xp:

1. click start > goto Run

2. type  cmd > click Ok

3. type ipconfig

4. take note of the default gateway

ex. 192.168.1.1

5. launch Internet Explorer

6. type the Default Gateway on the address bar

7. press Enter

8. type your router password and leave the username (empty)

9. check the firmware on the top right corner of the page.!

for Vista :

1. click start > goto start search

2. type  cmd > press enter

3. type ipconfig

4. take note of the IPv4 default gateway

ex. 192.168.1.1

5. launch Internet Explorer

6. type the Default Gateway on the address bar

7. press Enter

8. type your router password and leave the username (empty)

9. check the firmware on the top right corner of the page.!

bhall27

all my wireless devices experience the same issue at the same time - its my 360 and my laptop.  my other 2 PCs are hardwired into the router and they dont loose their signal.

thx for the help!

bhall27

Firmware Version: v1.02.2 

thats what i've found. so it looks like there are 2 downloads for version 1 and version 3 looks like i already have version 1 - if i d/l version 3 will that fix things or am i just out of luck?

unisilver

please do not select version 3 because the firmware version of your router shows up that it is a wrt160n version 1.. if you will download a different firmware version this may corrupt the software of your router

try this link:

http://www-ca.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=CAen%2FLayout&cid=115378111...

bhall27

well i chatted with support via LiveChat and they had me change a whole mess of settings.  They told me to keep an eye on my connection for 24 hours - yeah well within an hour my connection was being flakey again - i think the wireless router might be bad. :smileysad:

Does anyone know if it might still be under warranty?  I bought it about 8 months ago.

Thanks

kristv

Could be another case of Linksys' firmware not being stable enough for the router?  I flashed my WRT54G wireless router with an alternate non-Linksys (DD-WRT) firmeware, and it's been much more stable and connectivity has been consistent and faster.

If you still have some connectivity issues or other router flakiness, I highly recommend flashing your firmware with the latest stable version of the DD-WRT open source firmware.  It has many more features than the Linksys firmware and best of all, it's free!  Just make sure you completely familiarize yourself with the flashing procedure.  Read through it twice, and then read it again.  I followed it to the letter, and had no issues flashing my router.  All of my wireless connections are faster because of it, and I have greater control of my router's functionality now. 

Go here to find the firmware for whichever version of router you have (just enter your router model):

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html

Please do your homework before attempting to flash your router!  There is tons of great information on the above site, so read first!!  There is a different method to flashing the router depending on whether you have Vista installed or not, so read up on that.  Also make absolutely sure you are installing the correct version of the firmware for your particular router, or you will brick your router and likely have to buy a new one. 

Hope this helps!  I was seriously frustrated with my connectivity until I found this and almost ended up buying another router.  Linksys' hardware is good, but their firmware/drivers leave something to be desired.  :/