Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
GGpok
Accepted Solution

WRT160NL changing file sizes on data storage

I have WRT160NL with Firmware Version: 1.0.02. After 3 days of trying to connect my WD Elements 3TB I succeeded with 2 partitions of 1TB and one of 700 Gb not visible from router. I'm ok with that. The problem now is when I copy my files. I'm trying to create TV Series library for my Apple TV. Everything is working fine except the size of the files. When I'm copying files from PC USB they are corrupted on the network storage and not accessible. When I'm copying one file of size 350 Mb on the Network Storage via WIFI working fine but is saved with size of 2,7 Gb. General I have a lot of problems with this router and I'm very disappointed.

quack

Re: WRT160NL changing file sizes on data storage

Well, the scenario that you explained seems to be very strange. Before I suggest any troubleshooting steps, let me know in which format is your Hard drive being formatted(NTFS or FAT32). Check if your system is not being infected by the Virus. As, most of the time due to the Virus attack it creates such kind of issue...

GGpok

Fixed:

It was NTFS. I upgraded the router with latest firmware today 1.0.03. Had the same issue. I change the HDD partitions on 2 and formatted the disk on FAT32 and everything is OK for now. All of 3TB is accessible and the files are copied and reproduced just fine. The speed of the network also has changed for the better 5Mb/second via WiFi before I had 1,5Mb/second. Had some problems with one of the Access point after the firmware upgrade but fixed later.

Generally if you Storage is more than 2TB the router had some problems but

2 Partitions, FAT32 and the latest firmware 1.0.03 will fix the problem.

dci78

I've bought this router WRT160NL years ago. Now I'm going to buy a brand new external drive and I want to know if there are still some issues connecting a 1TB hard disk NTFS formatted even with the last router firmware 1.0.03 build 2 (7-25-2011).

I can't use FAT32 on hard disk since I need to move there files bigger than 4GB.

dci78

it's not true that WRT-160NL does not support NTFS. Look at this:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Networking/WRT160NL-Router-and-WD-Live/td-p/286024

that hard disk drive is formatted with NTFS and works fine.

So the issue is regarding only the entire size of the hard disk drive: for sure it works till 1,5TB and for sure it doesn't work well with 3TB

GGpok

Yes.... The problem is with 3Tb disk. I have 2 WD 500Gb Elements NTFS and they work just fine

dci78

ok, thanks.

I've just found a good offer on a WD My Book Essential 3.0 3.5" 2TB, I hope it works fine too