Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
john316.1

WRT1900AC & USB Printer Problems

It took me less than 20 min to replace an existing Asus RT-N56U with WRT1900AC Router, configure it and get all my devices ready. That is the best part. Then tried connecting my Samsung Printer to the USB Port(s) and installed the USB Control Center Software. Then the message "A compatible router with USB port was not found on your Network"  came up! After two days of installing, uninstalling and reinstalling, I have gone nowhere with the problem. Then I contacted through Online Support and I was connected to a lady by name "S.A" (do not want to mention the name). The lady never answered a single question raised by me, would not switch me to the higher level of support and would not even read what I had written. She continued to "suggest" that I unzip the Control Center downloaded file with "WinZip" rather than "WinRAR", replace my multi-level AV protection and so on. Oh God! This after I told her that I have more than 30+ years in the computer HW and SW industry. Anyway, after more than 45 min, I was passed on to the next level who, after asking better questions, told me that he would put me on to Customer Support who would call me within 24-48 hrs. I got a call after two days and the person told me that they would contact me after 48 hrs! Looks like, Linksys support leaves much to be desired.

The new Router is excellent with connectivity, with both wired and wireless devices. The Smart Wi-Fi Software is moderate with no advanced controls that can be found on ASUS devices that cost 50% less. But the Router is very good.

Coming back to my point, the USB Control Software they are using, is an old one that has been ported from their older models, and a Google search tells me that "A compatible router with USB port was not found on your Network" message comes up in their EA series routers as well and has not been resolved for the past 2 or more years.

My hope to get the issue resolved rests with the Community support, not Linksys. Have any of you successfully installed a USB Printer and it works without any issue over the network? Or facing the same problems as I do? Any resolution you have found for this problem? I would very much appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

John

BanditoB

Re: WRT1900AC & USB Printer Problems

I haven't experimented with adding a printer to the WRT-1900AC, yet, but thought of one thing that might make a difference for you.

Which USB port are you using for your printer?  I suspect that you're using the USB 3.0 port, which should work normally with your printer, but it may be worthwhile trying to connect it to the USB 2.0 port that is combined with the eSATA connection.  There's a potential that your software doesn't detect a newer USB port configuration.  It's worth a try, I think.

Good luck!

So many bits, so little time...
john316.1

There is no problem with any of the USB Ports and they work well with Thumb drives and Hard drives. Also, tried connecting to the USB 3 port but without any success. The issue is with the Linksys software.
Sgtmaj27

[ Edited ]

Thought that I would provide this info to at least verify that the printer can function on the USB port on the WRT1900 with provided software.  Here is what I did:

In the Smart WiFi UI I selected Network Map, and  Add a Device.  Next I selected USB Printer.  I then followed the instructions to download the USB Control software, extracted it, connected my printer USB cable and turned the printer on.  After the printer initialized I ran the Cosetup file and it installed the software and found the printer/USB port.  I did notice that during the installation it asked about allowing an exception to be added to my Firewall to allow comm with the port.  Unfortunately, I did not see what was added.  I am using Windows 8 with the Microsoft Firewall.  If someone is using another Firewall it may not properly allow connection, just a guess though.  The configuration works well with no problems....yet.

cuberoot

You might have gotten a bad router. Tell us If you receive your replacement router. Let's see if that happens again.
john316.1

@Sgtmaj27: Thank you for the suggestion. I have done what you had suggested a number of times but without success. When I install the USB Control SW for the first time, in its window, the printer is listed and gives the option of double clicking to Activate. No issues printing at that time. But when I restart the computer and having set the USB Control Center to open automatically when Windows starts, the printer is not listed, and the message"A compatible router with USB port was not found on your Network" comes up. The only way to see the printer again is to Uninstall the USB Control Center SW and reinstall the same. But then, it lasts until the computer is restarted, and then it vanishes. I am not using the Windows Firewall - I use the Zone Alarm. I have shut down the Firewall to troubleshoot, but it is NOT the culprit. The same goes with the AntiVirus Software.
john316.1

@cuberoot: I have not returned the router yet, due to lack of time, but continue my own troubleshooting when time permits. But have reached the end of ideas!
Sgtmaj27

@John316.1: Sorry that you are having these problems.  I too noticed this morning that the Control Center's message indicated that "A compatible router with USB port was not found on your Network"  When I started my computer. I had not turned the printer on yet.  As soon as I did, and the printer initialized, the printer appeared in the Control Center.  Apparently, there must be an active connection to the USB port before the port is recognized.  Is there an opportunity to try a different printer and/or cable?.  Mine is an HP Photosmart.

jpburton

Do you have to connect with the USB cable?  I had the same problem and solved it by connecting the printer with an Ethernet cable.  Use the Number 1 slot on the router.

daintybaby

Yes jpburton, you need to connect the USB printer to the USB port at the back of the WRT1900AC. Do you have challenges setting up your printer with this router? By the way, it’s better to check if the printer is compatible with the router

You may find the following links helpful:

Connecting a USB printer through the Linksys VUSB software on a Mac® computer
Connecting a USB printer through the Linksys VUSB software on a Windows-based computer
List of tested USB hard drives and printers for the Linksys WRT1900AC

:smileyhappy: