WRT310N Connection Drops

I have been having my WRT310N drop connections repeatedly and have read the numerous similar issues and fixes. None of them work. The router works for hours or days and then stops working. Sometimes wired connectivity is maintained, sometimes not. I have tried:

** Updated firmware to 1.06 - no change 

** Resetting to defaults - BUT I refuse to use the router in it's default configuration. I expect to use all the available features to secure my system - this is not a solution.

** MTU of 1350 - nope. Didn't work. 

** Going from WPA2 to WPA - No change

** Turned off Wireless-N - No change

** Stopped have the router do the PPOE negotiation to my DSL provider (activated routing in my DSL router which had been set in bridge mode to act like a DSL modem - set the WRT310N to DHCP behind it) - No change

** Applied all available updates to our home computers - no change

In all the above cases, I have made a change and let it be for about a week. There has been no improvement in reliability. This has been a tedious, frustrating and tiresome process. Judging from the numerous reports of people having the same issue even with exchanged routers, I am losing hope this thing will ever work correctly.

We have a MacBook Air (802.11n, OS X 10.5.6), an iPod Touch (802.11g), and a MacBook (802.11g, OS X 10.5.6) connecting to wireless at different times. None of these devices has a problem connecting and staying connected to any other wireless network.

When the WRT310N works, everything connects and works fine. When it fails, we try repeatedly to turn off our Airport devices and then turn them back on. That only occasionally works. What always works is to unplug the router and plug it back in.

I have never yet had to restart my DSL router - this has always been an issue with the WRT310N and has never been an issue with the DSL connection dropping.

I will not dumb down my set up any further. I have SSID broadcast off, a strong password, WPA-PSK (Personal) (but I really want WPA2/AES to work), and I want to enable MAC filtering. 

Re: WRT310N Connection Drops

Welcome to the forums,

The thing is that, like it or not, any Router, even the $600 ones, lose connections from time to time and have to be reset. If the Router is being used for Downloading, the constant transfer of Data back and forth to each computer overheats it and it just needs to rest for a second. I also know from experience that if you are using the Router for extreme downloading or playing  a game online, and then you just stop the extreme use, it loses connection because of the jolt that happens to it's system.

I know that's not the answer you want, but every Router needs to be restarted at a point in time.

Drops occur on almost a daily basis. Usage is primarily email access and web, and is evenings primarily. This is a very light load. We will have a connection in the evening, put the Macbook Air to sleep and try to reconnect in the AM for email checks. About 30% of the time, the MBA will not be able to connect and we have to restart the router. Likewise, when we come back in the evening. The router is not in use in between.

This are the settings which you can try on your Router. Just follow the instruction how to configure your router with the cable modem. Click Here

This are the Wireless Settings which you can do it on your Router.

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1
Leave username blank & in password use admin in lower case...
For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab
-Here select manual configuratioon...Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
-Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...
- Set the Radio Band to Standard-20MHz and change the Standard channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...
For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WEP, Encryption should be 64 bits.Leave the passphrase blank, don't type in anything...Under WEP Key 1 type in any 10 numbers please(numbers only and no letters eg: your 10 digit phone number) and click on save settings...Please make a note of WEP Key 1 as this is the Security Key for the Wireless Network...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 >>Click on "Save Settings"...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

I am not going backwards to WEP. I'm not interested in disclosing my SSID. I'll tinker with some of the other settings. 

To re-iterate - I don't have a problem getting connected. I have a problem staying connected. 

My problems are similar with the WRT610N. I have wasted hours on this problem, and had Time Warner Cable come to the house 4 times already to update everything else.  It is definitely a router problem.  It works for an hour or half a day and then drops.  Rebooting the modem and the router are the only way to bring it back up.  I also spent hours trying to get it to install properly.  My old Belkin worked fine for 5 years. Linksys was highly recommended for Macs, for easy install, and for tech support. If anyone has figured out to make the Linksys stay online reliably, I'd like to know. Else I'll return it and start over with a Belkin or a Mac Airport.

I have the same issues as you.  I have the WRTS310N and loses connection all of the time.  I have tried everything.  I have tried changing the settings many times.  I even tried the connections showed above.  Even if I use it just checking email it will lose connection.  I had a WRT54G before and it never lost connection.  I never had to reset either so I don't know what the other post was talking about.  I have a Cisco router at work and it never is reset.  I think there is definitely a design flaw if everyone is having this problem.  Please someone give me some answers.

I am having this exact problem--new MacBook Pro, which works everywhere else except on my own home network.  This is certainly a Linksys issue, since there seem to be lots of people with this problem.  This is not a matter of just every once in awhile having to reset the router--it is a constant issue.  One should not have to reset the router on a daily basis, much less several times a day.  Are there any answers? Thanks for any help anyone can give me. 

I ran into the same issue.  I created a new SSID and then changed the network mode from 'Mixed' to 'Wireless G Only', since that's what my laptops are using.  That seemed to fix things up for me.  Hope that helps.

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem too. The connection will drop constantly for about a week, then it'll be fine for about a week, but then the problem will come back. At first, I found that resetting the router (using the reset button) fixed the problem for that day, but the connection would start dropping the following day and I would have to reset the router again. By the end of the week, even resetting wouldn't work. This is my second Linksys router, and both routers only lasted for two years, if that. Whenever the connection would start dropping with the first one, the firmware needed to be upgraded. I'm pretty sure that there is a newer version of my firmware out there, but the website doesn't list any firmware upgrades. In fact, I'm pretty sure that there's a problem with it because none of the headings (ie. FAQ, Downloads, Forum) will show up on my computer. Needless to say, I'm fed up with Linksys too. I went out and bought a new router, and I made sure it wasn't a Linksys. We'll see how my new one works out.

I'll try changing the SSID and the mode to see if I can salvage my router. Thanks for the tip. Good luck to you all!

Just a final note. There seems to be a lot of threads regarding connection drops. Here's a link to another thread where they recommend using Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (called WLAN AutoConfig in Vista and Windows 7). I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds interesting. Sorry, all you Mac people, I have no suggestions for you. The link: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT310n-drops-off-network-randomly/td-p/254938