kju
kju

WRT320N turned on IPTV on LAN, Wifi problem

Hello :robothappy:

I have a problem when I turn on IPTV Multicast involved in PC LAN, my Wifi stop working.
Signal LED for LAN (port), WiFi and WAN will start to blink rapidly.
I suspect that the problem is that the IPTV multicast router sends packets to the Wifi and thereby overload.
Can I somehow filter the multicast separately for LAN and WiFi?

THX Karol

kju
kju

Re: WRT320N turned on IPTV on LAN, Wifi problem

Somewhere on another forum I found this:

"It is very important for me that the router supports IGMP snooping otherwise thw wirelees gets flooded with Multicasts from our ISP and it freezes the router after some time. The multicasting is used for our IPTV so blocking them is not the answer"

I assume that I have the same problem that the firmware for the WRT320N does not support IGMP snooping. Therefore, my Wifi stops working when I turn on IPTV to the PC via LAN.

oook

IGMP snooping is designed to prevent hosts on a local network from receiving traffic for a multicast group they have not explicitly joined. It provides switches with a mechanism to prune multicast traffic from links that do not contain a multicast listener (IGMP client). A switch that does not IGMP snoop will, by default, 'flood' multicast traffic to all the ports in a broadcast domain (or theVLAN equivalent). Multicast can cause unnecessary or even crippling load on host devices by requiring them to process packets they have not solicited. When purposefully exploited this is known as one variation of a DOS attack. 
Snooping is therefore especially useful for bandwidth-intensive IP applications that use multicast as a transport. IGMP snooping does not reduce load on the switch itself since the default flooding is a low cost activity. IGMP snooping actually requires additional processing and memory resources on the switch.

There is no such option available on the linksys router to filter the multicast separately for LAN and WiFi.

But you can try some of the wireless settings on your linksys router which is mentioned below ::

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...
On the set-up tab change the MTU Size to 1365 and click Save Settings...

Once you return to the set up page click on the Security tab and uncheck Block Anonymous Internet Requests and click on Save Settings...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75,Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304,Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 and Click on Save Settings...
Now observe the connection.

kju
kju

Thank you for your reply but the settings did not help.
After running IPTV Wifi LED flashes quickly and WiFi is unavailable.
When I Turn OFF IPTV, WiFi is available in a few seconds.
I was wondering whether the problem is that this router has a 1Gb LAN ports that run at IPTV overload WIFI.
Because friends Linksys WRT54GL router is no problem IPTV and WiFi, but he was there to Tomato firmware. And I know that some other routers, which have only 100Mb LAN ports go without problems (IPTV + Wifi).

I feel that this is a hardware problem rather than software.

One solution I found is there another firmware upload (not Linksys) and move Wifi to a different subnet than the LAN.

oook

Login to your Router setup page and click on the Security tab and below check the BOX "Filter Multicast" and click on Save Settings... Once you Enable Filter Multicast on your Router it will automatically allows multiple transmissions to specific recipients at the same time. If multicasting is permitted, then the Router will allow IP multicast packets to be forwarded to the appropriate computers or device.

kju
kju

When I enable filter multicast, IPTV is not working, so I must have it by unchecking it.

oook

Linksys Router doesn't support Multiple PVC's and IGMP Proxy, so i think that might be one of the reason you are facing the problem with your IPTV.

kju
kju

On the Linksys WRT160N and I'm trying to do it as well. I turn on IPTV to PCs, and WiFi works without any problems.
Neither the Wifi LED blinking quickly as the WRT320N.
So there is a problem in a fast LAN ports?
Or WRT160N v3 is better designed than WRT320N?

oook

WRT320N has a gigabyte port so try to connect the IPTV with the cat5e or cat6 cable.

kju
kju

My Internet provider has only 100 megabytes LAN, I have a PC connected via CAT5E cable quality. So the quality of connections should not be a problem.

Today I tried WRT160N V3 and it works for IPTV via LAN and WIFI, and even both at once.
Anyway, I read that people have a problem with WRT160N V2.
So, Linksys had to make a difference in V3 compared to V2, which helped IPTV.
So WRT320N V1 has some hardware problem that can be solved in some later version.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve?

THX for help