hithere

Re: WRT350N Problems

[ Edited ]
Would you please send me the beta version (PM) ?  If the beta version does not work, I'm just never going to use Linksys again.  I've had too many problems with too much of their equipment.

Thanks.

(MOD note: Removed email address. Send PM to contact fellow user.)

Message Edited by OnnagokorO on 10-03-2007 09:34 PM
350n_user

I'm using v1.03.2 firmware and I'm VERY disapointed with this router overal. The log function does not work. The backup/restore configuration does not work either. 

About every two weeks (sometimes less than that) the router stops routing HTTP traffic to/from my home computers (while its diagnostics utility can still ping and trace route perfectly and I can access the router management pages from the Internet outside my house...). The only fix for this is to reset the router to factory defaults and re-program everything from scratch (remember that the Restore utility does not work at all...).

I wish I could revert to earlier firmware but that is not posted anywhere, is it?

Linksys had ONE full year to fix all the issues on this (supposedly) top of the line router but the existing firmware still looks like a pre-release version. Completely unaceptable in my opinion.
Ef
Ef

The 350N has a bunch of problems. This is the same thing that occurred when Linksys release the WRT54G which a lot a people like now. You have the keep in mind that the router is bought with 'draft N' on the box which means that a standard is still being worked by vendors of the 802.11N protocol.

I'm on my 3rd router. I setup the the basic config and assigned my computers in the DHCP reservation table and the wireless & it's security. Changed the router IP and saved it initially to keep the router recycling. I turned off "remote access via http' & port 21 in the storage area and didn't clone my PC. I didn't use the application & gaming section (especially the QOS-this will cycle the router) or storage area. I the a printed copy of all the tables/sections I updated because in ver 1.03.2 the restore config doesn't work-Linksys knows this.

I found these problems areas which I informed tech support who created case/incident numbers:

1. Power flux or outage may cause the route to loose IN connectivity-basically it dumps the firmware config: the router may turn into a switch where the hard wired PCs  will work but dumps the wireless connection. If you go to your 'status' screen , you will notice a different IP address from the router

Work around: unplug power from router and modem. restore power to router and then the modem. Better yet-plug both items into a UPS.

2.Restore configuration doesn't work. Ver 1.03.6 fix this problem but still had some other bugs so it was pulled.

3.  The logs (either dumps or don't update information) and ping/traceroute doesn't work. Ver 1.03.6 fix this problem but still had some other bugs so it was pulled.

4. QOS-not sure if this was functioning correctly. When turn on/saved for wireless-router cycled and setting were lost.
350n_user

E,

I had tried you workarround when the router stoped routing the first time but it did not work for me. I subsequently tried several other aproaches, both on the WAN side and on the LAN side (wireless is always off in my case...) but the only fix for the problem is to load the factory defaults and re-program everything again.

I don't even care about the wireless functionality. G standard would be good enough for me provided the router was more reliable. BTW, I've noticed that when the wireless fuction is turned off, the router very rarely stops working. That tells me that the problem either lies on a memory leak caused by the Wireless software routines (which could also be causing the Log function to stop working) or, as you mentioned, an internal power glitch when Wireless is changing power states.

All my equipment (Modem, Router and main computer box) is already behind a top of the line UPS from APC, so I know that the AC going in to the LinkSys power brick is 100%. I use all 4 LAN ports at Giga bit speed and sometimes I have heavy trafic on all ports (switch function only). The switching performance is excelent in all cases. I don't use the Storage feature or accessibility rules. I do use however, port redirection rules for incoming Internet trafic.

I just hope they release a new firmware soon or this potentialy great product will go to the "box of bad gadgets" in the garage.

cheers!

Air-Wolf

Hi All;
  Same problems here and I am on my 3rd Linksys WRT350N.  The wired connection seems OK but really slow at times which I have not encountered before.  Also I sometime have to reboot the router several times a week because it looses it wireless connection and you can not find it when scanning for a wireless connection no matter how close you are to the router.  I have upgraded to the latest 1.037 Firmware but this did not help either.  Not sure what to do next.

Anyone have some solutions?

Thanks

Dwayne

350n_user

I'm afraid I found the basic problem with all WRT350N units: Heat 

As my unit was out of waranty anyway, I decided to open it and sniff around, as I'm an Electrical Engineer and I've designed many routers and high end communication equipment.

The first thing I noticed after I removed the outer silver shell on both sides is that the router itself is enclosed in yet another plastic box (this prevents good ventiation to components). By taking this inner box apart I exposed the guts of the router. To my surprise, there was tons of copper tape all over the board, like bandages...Most likely this was necessary to curb RF emissions and pass FCC certification. Again this keeps the heat trapped inside and components cooking up as I could tell just by touching them and nearly burning my fingers.

To reduce design time and leaverage other Linksys products, the wireless portion turned out to be nothing more than a standard PCMCIA card in its original metal enclosure, stuck in a cheap socket and resting on top of the main board, with very little heat dissipation material. It was also very hot to the touch and most likely it was operating (or trying to...) at a much higher temperature than it was designed for. 

The fix: In order to keep the components cool, I discarded all original plastic case and mounted the board directly on the back of my desk, leaving enough space on the bottom for air flow. I then attached a 12V DC fan blowing directly on it, for added cooling. I did the same thing with the DSL modem.

I have never have a lock up again or lost internet connectivity since than.

Try this at your own risk though... Good Luck
Jesse6749

[ Edited ]

350n_user wrote:
I'm afraid I found the basic problem with all WRT350N units: Heat
As my unit was out of waranty anyway, I decided to open it and sniff around, as I'm an Electrical Engineer and I've designed many routers and high end communication equipment.
The first thing I noticed after I removed the outer silver shell on both sides is that the router itself is enclosed in yet another plastic box (this prevents good ventiation to components). By taking this inner box apart I exposed the guts of the router. To my surprise, there was tons of copper tape all over the board, like bandages...Most likely this was necessary to curb RF emissions and pass FCC certification. Again this keeps the heat trapped inside and components cooking up as I could tell just by touching them and nearly burning my fingers.
To reduce design time and leaverage other Linksys products, the wireless portion turned out to be nothing more than a standard PCMCIA card in its original metal enclosure, stuck in a cheap socket and resting on top of the main board, with very little heat dissipation material. It was also very hot to the touch and most likely it was operating (or trying to...) at a much higher temperature than it was designed for.
The fix: In order to keep the components cool, I discarded all original plastic case and mounted the board directly on the back of my desk, leaving enough space on the bottom for air flow. I then attached a 12V DC fan blowing directly on it, for added cooling. I did the same thing with the DSL modem.
I have never have a lock up again or lost internet connectivity since than.
Try this at your own risk though... Good Luck

You know I did this same thing to my 350N router too yesterday and so far I have not had any problems like before were I lost my wireless signal. On mine I took both top covers of completely and left the bottom ones on and attached the router to my closet wall and attached a 12v DC fan directly to the aluminum heat sink with double sided tape so it blows air over all the components and so far all the components are staying very cool to the touch.

Message Edited by Jesse6749 on 11-10-2007 10:40 PM
ViktorR

Hello Everybody:

I have the same problem with this router, definetly it needs a software update  to fix it, I have the last published version 1.03.7 and have the same condition, connects to the internet for 5 to 8 hrs and later loss the connection, I change my WRT300N because it have a NAS option and the better LAN speed, but this product dissapoint me, when Linksys Release a working software? today is april 5 of 2008? If any body have a soltution or the new software working please post here the direction.... Thanks!
devilazdevious

Still no news, no firmware from linksys yet. Nothing done by them to rectify this.problem.

Even for the newest N series of Wifi router from Linksys oso hab the same problem like WRT350N. Auto disconnection from LAN or WiFi after using it for a few hours.

Was wondering how come G series of router performance is good but N series router is such a dissapointment from them. Or is it becuz lack of fund or capable R&D personnel from them....:smileyvery-happy:.
architect

I can't connect my notebook using the old Linksys WUSB12 adapter to the WRT350N. I read somewhere the WRT350N does not support USB wifi adapters. Would appreciate any useful info on this. TIA