Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
qhorque

WRT400N Signal pattern and best orientation?

Does anyone know what the radio signal pattern is on the new "UFO" style Linksys routers such as the WRT400N and what might be the best orientation to cover a single floor home?  With the internal antennas (just wires glued to the inside of the cover, I believe), there's no sense of what the unit projects.  Is it a dipole-like figure 8 or is it more of a torus (donut shape)?  If a torus, is it horizontal or vertical?  Is it better to rest it flat on the table or mount it on a wall (90 degrees to the table)?  Then, do you want to face the top of the unit towards the clients or do you want the sides of the unit to point towards the clients?

I can not find any information on this where the radio pattern is difinitively defined.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Expert
sabretooth

Re: WRT400N Signal pattern and best orientation?

See here, this may help.
quack

You can check the Link which sabertooth has mentioned. I think it will clear all your doubts.
qhorque

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I already saw sabretooth's post and that helps a bit.  Still, I was hoping someone might know of an "official" Linksys tech document of sorts which might be more definitive.

I have the WRT400N router hanging on the wall facing the WET610N and the WET610N appears to capture more signal if it's got its narrow side towards the router.

For both devices, the wires are probably "in plane" with the largest surface and would imply my best configuration is 90 degrees off between the two and that's not intuitive to me.  I'd assume the best orientation would be "plane to plane" or two loops facing each other but my orientation places them 90 degrees with respect to each other.

So regardless of the orientation of the antenna wires internal to the devices, you clearly have to experiment!  I'll figure it out.

Thanks,

Robert

quack

Also try to adjust the wireless settings on the router for the better signal strength...

On the setup page of the router...For 2.4GHz...Set the Radio Band to Wide-40MHz and change the Wide channel to 9 and Standard Channel to 11-2.462GHz..For 5GHz...Set the Radio Band to Wide-40MHz and change the Wide channel to159 and Standard Channel to 161-5.805GHz...Under the Advance Wireless Settings...Change the N Transmission Rate to 15-130 or 270 Mbps...also reduce the Beacon Interval to 75,Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304,Change the RTS Threshold to 2307 and Click on Save Settings... 

qhorque

Thanks for the suggestions, quack.  I'll try them and see what happens and get back to you.

Robert

BCTalker

[ Edited ]

I too would love to know the answer to this, since I am trying to mount the WRT-400N vertically on a wall. Unfortunately my first-choice vertical mounting position seemed to result in an immediate reduction of signal strength to my target locations compared to the horizontal table position 2 feet away.

Assuming that the antenna arrangement is symmetrical left-right, there are at least 12 orientations to test, with the possible confusing factors of slight differences in position, time variance, and outside interference. Can't Linksys give us a clue about the antenna pattern?

(Actually, I see that it's not symmetrical left-right. A teardown report online says the antennas used at either frequency are at diagonally opposite corners)

Message Edited by BCTalker on 01-02-2010 09:08 AM