Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
kzr22

WRT54G 4-port, wont connect to new modem.

[ Edited ]

I have comcast internet and have happily used my wrt54g in this way for a while. The modem connects to the router, my 2 computers connect to the router via internet cable and my laptops downstairs  connect wirelessly. Recently comcast sent us a new faster modem. when I use it directly connected to the computer as I am now it works perfectly with faster speeds, but when I connect it to the router and then to the computers i get no internet access. After trying the WRT54G setup disk I got to the part that says checking computer settings. It goes to 99% then tells me that it cannot connect to the router and to try reseting it to factory settings by holding reset for 5 seconds. I have done this and it makes no difference

Can anyone help me?

Thank.

kzr22

Re: WRT54G 4-port, wont connect to new modem.

[ Edited ]

EDIT: title router should be MODEM

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

Re: WRT54G 4-port, won't connect to new modem.

[ Edited ]

Hi kzr22 and welcome to the forums!

Please check the link below and let us know if it works for you.

Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service

kzr22

thank you, the link you gave me would not load for me im not sure why but I did use the installation disk im not sure what would be different

Expert
sabretooth

The installation CD's usually do not work.  Always configure the router manually by using the link above. 

kzr22

Well the page started working, I can not access the router setup page. It just says webpage not available. I think I have no connection to it what so ever.

Expert
sabretooth

Bypass the router and download the information.  Then follow the instuctions by connecting the router.

kzr22

Im sorry I wasnt clear I meant the page 192.168.1.1 cannot be accessed when I am connected to the router

Expert
sabretooth

Press and hold the reset button in back for 30 seconds and release.  Wait 10 seconds and power cycle the router.  Connect via wired computer to 192.168.1.1 username blank, password 'admin'.  Configure the router manually.

kzr22

thank you for that response, I did that and the router instantly started working on one computer, this windows one, but the mac one will still not connect. I can access the router setup page on this computer if that is helpful. The light for port 2 which is the mac is flashing while the one for this computer is solid. What should I change?