Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
kayelle
Accepted Solution

WRT54G: Cannot connect to internet

Hi all,

Would really appreciate your help or any advice please! Not exactly familiar with the tech terms so I hope I'm making sense...

Router: WRT54G

Network: 802.11g (and I'm using WEP)

Wifi Adapter: Intel R Centrino R Ultimate-n 6300 AGN

No. of devices connected to wireless network: 5

My problem is that whenever 2 devices have joined the wireless network, I will not be able to do so despite placing the laptop or iPhone right next to the router, hence getting excellent signal strength. Or, if I am already connected to the network, I get knocked out repeatedly. 

I don't think it is a hardware or software issue because I'm still able to connect and get a very stable connection after someone leaves the wireless network.

This is getting frustrating and I have tried all ways and means to resolve this but to no avail. Is this about some setting that I can tweak, e.g. to allow more users onto the network? But this has already been configured to '50'!

Can anyone help, pls? Much appreciated, and thanks!

Expert
sabretooth

Re: WRT54G: Cannot connect to internet

Please list all devices connected and their operating systems and if they are wired or wireless.

kayelle

Hi sabretooth,

The devices are - 

1. Fujitsu Lifebook LH700
  2. Lenovo Ideapad Y550 
  3. Toshiba Satellite L635
  4. 2 x iPhone 4

All the laptops are running on Windows 7; the phones are on iOS, and all are not wired..

Thanks in advance!

forsaken

Connect one computer wired with the router and let me know the IP address from the Router… You can check the IP address in the following manner:

If you wish to find out your own IP address, you should run the same ms-dos prompt by clicking Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. A black pop up box should come up, type: "ipconfig /all" … There check the IP address and Default Gateway under LAN….

You can try out the following steps:

# Open up the browser and on the address bar type “Default Gateway” that will open up the Router setup page…

# Then Click on wireless Tab and select you can make Standard Channel to 6, 9, 11... Click Save Settings...

# Then click on Advanced Wireless Settings, change Beacon Interval to 75, Fragmentation Threshold to 2306, and RTS Threshold to 2307...

Then check the connectivity….

kayelle

Hi forsaken!

Did what you said and this is what I got from ipconfig - 

IPv4 Address: 192.168.100

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Have also done what you recommended, wireless channel's set to "11", etc...so far connectivity is good but then again, I don't have any problems joining the network when no other devices are connected to it..

Another dumb question: Does "maximum number of DHCP users" affect the connectivity as well? It's set to 50 currently...

Thanks, appreciate your help! :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

kayelle

Expert
sabretooth

[ Edited ]

Now try this.  On all your Windows 7 computers, disable IPv6 under LAN properties for both the wired and wireless adapters.  Reboot computers and now try to connect again.

forsaken

Connect one computer wired with the modem and let me know the IP address from the modem…

Secondly the issue that you have according to that when the computer gets disconnect from the network do you receive any ip address on those wireless devices...

You can check the IP address in the following manner:

If you wish to find out your own IP address, you should run the same ms-dos prompt by clicking Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. A black pop up box should come up, type: "ipconfig /all" … There check the IP address and Default Gateway under LAN….

kayelle

Hi all!

It's been a week plus since I'd tried the solution and tips offered and so far the connectivitiy's been good! Thanks so much for all your help :smileyhappy: