Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nave911

WRT54G - Hard Reset, and still can't log in with "admin"

I have a WRT54G ver. 2 that my new roomate contibuted to the cause. In an effort to setup and configure this router, I have been attempting to login to it. My roomate did not know what the settings where, so I just simply did a hard reset and expected that "admin" would let me waltz in the front door. No such luck. I have tried resetting this router several times now with no success. I can ping 192.168.1.1 with success, and get the login prompt when use 192.168.1.1 in internet explorer. I am using a dell laptop hooked directly to the WRT54G. I have tried this with my desktop as well with the same results. Any ideas????  I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thanks!  Nave911

Re: WRT54G - Hard Reset, and still can't log in with "admin"

Did you leave the username field blank?  And use admin in the password field?
Nave911

Yep... no username, password "admin". I have 16 years in as an IT professional and MSCE. Despite that, I have not come across a Linksys router that would not reset. Figured the best place to air out my problem was in this fourm.

Thanks,

Nave

SPAWN_06

Try pressing the reset button on the back for 1 min...make sure that the power light blinks while this is done... Keep holding the reset button and unplug the power cable... then release it after a few.. clear your browser cache... then plug it back in... you can try it also on other computers on the network if it still does not let you login with the same procedure...... goodluck! :smileywink:
"The war between heaven and hell depends on the choices we make, and those choices require sacrifice. That's the test"
Donders

I had a "stuck" WRT54G v5 that was inaccessible by any means. By the wireless SSID I could see it still had the custom configuration and would not reset to factory default. The above method of holding the reset for a long time with power on, then unplugging while still pressing reset worked on the first try. I had been unsuccessful with the old plug-in-power-while-holding-reset approach, or holding reset for 1 minute with power on or with power off. I think the key is to continue holding as you unplug.
Thnaks for the post - you rock!
andrewng

Re: WRT54G - Hard Reset, and still get into login page

I try to do Hard Reset.
By hold down reset button 30 seconds, power down and powerup.
open 192.168.1.1
and cannot get login page.
Any other method to reset.

EdMiR

Same here, I cannot log in...
dznuts

Ive been messing around with the firmware for the last few days.  I noticed that this post is very old, but it came out on the top of a google search for an issue I am now having.  If anyone else happens to have this issue, try this:

Go to the linksys website and download the appropriate firmware for your device.  be sure to make note of the version number of your model number as well because that is very important.  If you are running windows xp, or windows 2000 -- it comes with a TFTP client.  (c:\windows\system32\tftp32.exe)  What you need to do is drop down to a command prompt.  If you arent familiar with using DOS, then you might want to save the firmware in C:\  when you download it.   After dropping to the command prompt,

type: CD \

from there it will look like this:  C:\>

type TFTP -i 192.168.1.1 PUT nameofimagehere.bin  (dont hit enter yet!)

unplug the power from your router.  as soon as you plug it back in, hit enter.  timing is tricky.   After the image transfer is successful -- wait for about 3 minutes.  if you power cycle in the middle of the upgrade, you're router is history.

Good luck!

whitneybrook

I was having this problem (not being able to reset) and followed the instructions on this thread. I didn't have to download the firmware. I just held down reset for a while then pulled out the power.  The first time, I noticed a change from the setup CD I was using, telling me to reset the router. The second time I held down reset for a while, pulled the power and put it back in while still holding reset.  I pressed the reset button again for good measure. It worked.  I'm a novice. I knew there was an IP address to go to change settings, but didn't know it was 192.168.1.1.  That helped a lot. Thanks guys.
A_Generic_User

[ Edited ]
Thanks for the great tips. Between these, and some help from other sites, I was able to get my WRT54GS working again. (Bought off ebay, seller had flashed openwrt on it but screwed it up...)

I was having trouble getting anything to flash, and TFTP wasn't working for me either... But I finally got it to work fairly reliably by doing the following:

1) Set my network adapter speed/duplex to 10 MBbps, half-duplex.

2) Unplug router power & any ethernet cords.

3) Plug ethernet wire from computer to LAN port 1.

4) Open command prompt window, type the TFTP command, but don't hit enter yet.

5) Plug power cord in for the router, watch the lights carefully.

6) As soon as the LED for LAN port 1 lights up, hit Enter in the command prompt window.

I had no trouble with TFTP working when I did those steps. A couple minutes later, I could bring up the web interface for the router!

Note that this procedure worked for both the Linksys firmware and the dd-wrt firmware...

Enjoy!

Message Edited by A_Generic_User on 09-16-2008 04:22 PM