vidg

WRT54G IPv6

I've been hearing a lot about IPv6 lately, and I was wondering if the IPv6 router supports it. Will there be any issue when the mandatory switch to IPv6 is made?

SPAWN_06

Re: WRT54G IPv6

If the hardware standards are the same and only a firmware update is needed to support the connection then YES but if this new type of connection needs something else, we might need new devices just to support that connection... but I doubt it will be that way because millions of routers would be phased out if that were to happen

"The war between heaven and hell depends on the choices we make, and those choices require sacrifice. That's the test"
Expert
Expert

vidg wrote:

I've been hearing a lot about IPv6 lately, and I was wondering if the IPv6 router supports it. Will there be any issue when the mandatory switch to IPv6 is made?

No. There won't be any issue when the mandatory switch to IPv4 is made. If your WRT54G is stlll operational when the mandatory switch to IPv6 is made it's more like a wonder. If you still use the WRT54G as your home router when the switch is made you will be technilogically decades behind.

It will be many years before a switch like that will come. If ever.

You can use IPv6 on Windows, Mac, and Linux now.  If it's Windows 7 and you have IPv6 enabled everything is already set up. All three OS support standard IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling. Thus, if you absolutely need to access a web site or internet service which is only accessible through IPv6 there are ways to get it done, regardless of the router.

I would worry more about how much longer your old WRT54G will be able to keep up with the steady speed increase in internet connectivity.

Test your IPv6 connectivity: http://test-ipv6.com/

sm00thpapa

There hasn't been a firmware release for this router in 5 years so I doubt it will come. This router is soon to be phased out. I use it for my G clients so they don't slow down my N clients on my Asus RT-N66U. 

Expert
jlbjlb

Which wrt54g version do you have? I have version 3.0 and there is a firmware update. The firmware doesn't support ipv6 though.

If you want to use ipv6 with your wrt54g, you'll need to cascade it to your asus LAN to LAN.

Search the forum for instructions on how to cascade a linksys router LAN to LAN.

I use different SSIDs for main router and secondary router and ipv6 works fine using the wrt54g.
sm00thpapa

I have a WRT54G V6 and a WRT54GL V1.1. Both are connected to my RT-N66U and IPV6 seems to be working on both. 

Jake_2.0

@ sm00thpapa, how is your WRT54G router connected to your RT-N66U? Is it through LAN-to-LAN connection? If so then you would definitely get ipv6 from that router since the router will just serve as a switch or a pass-through device. I also don’t think that the WRT54G router has a feature for ipv6 and if I am not mistaken, the oldest Cisco router that supports ipv6 is E4200 v1.

sm00thpapa

My WRT54GL is connected via LAN to WAN. 

imncloudnine

You must have your client devices' IPv6 property enabled if this setup is working for you. The WRT54G is not designed to work with native IPv6 nor does it allow you to configure IPv6 via 6rd tunneling. Still, if your computer has to contact an IPv6 server, the router as long as the client devices are equipped. The mandatory switch is not likely to happen in the near future so there is no need to worry.