tlstrieg

WRT54G Internet Connection Problem

I've seen several posts about the WRT54 series randomly dropping internet connections. I've been having this problem for the past few days - ever since I returned from a two-week trip, during which my computers, router and modem (wireless) were turned off and unplugged.

Yesterday I did a hard reset (43 seconds), and after a few hours things seemed to stabilize.

This afternoon I checked my Internet connection in Windows and found it "disabled." I clicked the "Enable" menu option, and things seem to be stable for the time being.

Don't know if this is a solution, but thought I'd pass it along.
tlstrieg

Re: WRT54G Internet Connection Problem

OK, I lied. The solution lasted a few hours, but now I'm down to dropping the internet within the hour.

Guess it's time for a new router.

Anybody have any suggestions on a replacement?
helm

which hardware version of the router are u using ?? who is your ISP ?? a cable or a DSL connection ??
wonk

Has anyone found the reason for this?  I have a new WRT54G.  I have set up hundreds of them in the past.  This one will work fine with my DSL connection for 1 hour and then all connections stop.  Both wired and wireless.  Restart the router and I get 1 more hour before it stops again.

tonjohn

I'm getting a similar issue as well. The Router has worked fine for months and just recently it seems to go up and down all the time. Will work fine for several minutes, drops for a couple, comes back slow, sometimes fast. Basically seems to go up and down all the time.
petz

I'm seeing too much of this type of post, and have started having the same problem. IT IS MADDENING!! Loses either network or internet connection repeatedly for anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes. I go through the Repair Connection steps and most times it comes back before I finish. I've cycled and cycled with no improvement. In fact it's gotten worse over the past few days. It will lose connection 3-4 times in 10 minutes. I've already tried almost all of the recommended fixes listed with no improvement.

Wonder if this router is good fishbait? It's not good for much else.

Can anyone suggest something NEW??
Duffster

I'm literally ready to tear out my hair with mine. The only difference between you and I is that my router is being blocked by something, preventing it from working properly. Either that, or my WRT54G just hates me.
willgardner1020

i have the same problem and i'm considering bringing it back to circuit city seeing as it's only a week old.

Guys just upgrade the firmware on the router.
Reset. And it will be up n running !

C | EH

linksyshelp.blogspot.com
xprophet

[ Edited ]
With prolonged telephone assistance from Linksys managed to install updated firmware; but then lost all wireless connection,  wired ethernet OK.   A router replacement router was  initiated when the problem could not be solved online. Whilst waiting and by chance I found  "access restriction" tab on online Linksys router admin pages, set that to '24hrs' and 'everyday' and Wireless reappeared! Connection has been 99% since. Even after resetting  access to its default,   which was "disable" all restrictions. it's still good two weeks later.  Really curious if anyone else tries this approach..  Let me know if that works.
     One guess would be that loading new firmware interferes with some common file and interrupts wireless access.  Comments?

Message Edited by xprophet on 04-09-2008 10:35 AM