Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
manchester

WRT54G - Internet light not lighting up, or Ethernet light not lighting up

[ Edited ]
I am incredibly frustrated here because I can't seem to get my Toshiba laptop to connect to my WRT54G. My Linksys WRT54G is connected to my desktop computer which is connected to a Rogers modem (Webstar).

Installation proceeded fine till the step where the router couldn't connect to the computer, even though my internet is STILL working.

I noticed that, depending on the switching of the cables (the one that came with my modem and the other that came in the Linksys package, both are similar blue cables):

If I put in my blue modem cable into the router's Internet port (as suggested by set-up), the ethernet port won't light up even though the router cable is in there... (but the internet port lights up)

OR

If I switch the positions of the cables and having the blue router cable in the Internet port, the internet port doesn't light up but the ethernet port does.

Either way, I cannot connect my Laptop to the wireless network even though it's a brand new Toshiba laptop and the wireless feature is activated. I just bought this router at the Future Shop and I'm not even sure what to do. All the other lights on the router are working (power and WAN lights).

Can someone help me out here? I've tried powering down the routers/modems, re-ininstalling everything, pinging, ipconfig/all, etc. Thanks!

Message Edited by manchester on 11-16-2007 05:52 PM
great_white

Re: WRT54G - Internet light not lighting up, or Ethernet light not lighting up

hi...as far as i understood you...the ethernet / internet light lits up only when you use the modem cable .. if this is correct , then it seems that the router cable is bad .. try a new cable ..
manchester

I will see if I can pick up a new cable and see if it works. Hopefully it will. If not, I'll let you know Thanks for the suggestion!
manchester

[ Edited ]

Update: Bought a new cable... still not working. I'm just going to try to return it to the Future Shop and get a new one altogether.

(Mod Note: Edited due to non-compliance of forum guidelines.)

Message Edited by daikunzeon on 12-01-2007 12:42 PM