chuck1221
Accepted Solution

WRT54G Issues...

Hi, I have been using my WRT54G wireless router on 2 computers for about 7 months with no problems. One computer running XP is wired and my computer running Vista is wireless. The last 2 weeks I have been having many issues connecting to the router to get the internet. I have excellent signal strength but yet it still has problems connecting, and when it does connect my internet via the wireless connection is horribly slow, 56k speed... The internet on the wired computer is always fast so it is only slow on the wireless connection. I have cable internet service through comcast. I have read all over the linksys website and forum and have tryed everything I have found to correct this problem and have yet to be succesful. As I said before I have been using this connection for almost 7 months with no issues, all of a sudden my wireless connection is slow and has problems connecting. I did not change any setting for the network in this time.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks,

Chuck

toomanydonuts

Re: WRT54G Issues...

There are many causes for poor wireless connections, and many solutions:

First of all, give your network a unique SSID. Do not use "linksys". If you are using "linksys" you may be trying to connect to your neighbor's router. Also set "SSID Broadcast" to "enabled". This will help your computer find and lock on to your router's signal.

Poor wireless connections are often caused by radio interference from other 2.4 GHz devices. This includes wireless phones, wireless baby monitors, microwave ovens, wireless mice and keyboards, wireless speakers, and your neighbor's wireless network. In rare cases, Bluetooth devices can interfere. Even some 5+ GHz phones also use the 2.4 Ghz band. Unplug these devices, and see if that corrects your problem.

In your router, try a different channel. There are 11 channels in the 2.4 GHz band. Usually channel 1, 6, or 11 works best. Check out your neighbors, and see what channel they are using. Because the channels overlap one another, try to stay at least +5 or -5 channels from your strongest neighbors. For example, if you have a strong neighbor on channel 9, try any channel 1 through 4.

Also, try to locate the router about 4 to 6 feet above the floor, in an open area. Do not locate it behind your monitor or near other computer equipment or speakers. The antenna should be vertical.

Also, in the computer, go to your wireless software, and go to "Preferred Networks" (sometimes called "Profiles" ). There are probably a few networks listed. Delete any network named "linksys". Also delete any network that you do not recognize, or that you no longer use. If your current network is not listed, enter its info (SSID, encryption (if any), and key (if any) ). Then select your current network and make it your default network, and set it to automatic login. You may need to go to "settings" to do this, or you may need to right click on your network and select "Properties" or "settings".

If the above does not fix your problem, download and install the latest driver for your wireless card.

Some users have reported improved wireless performance by switching to WPA encryption.

If you continue to have problems, try the following:

For wireless g routers, try setting the "Transmission Rate" to 54 Mbps.

If you still have trouble, download and install the latest firmware for your router. After a firmware upgrade, you must reset the router to factory defaults, then setup the router again from scratch. If you saved a router configuration file, DO NOT use it.

Hope this helps.

chuck1221

Thanks for the response. The SSID was changed before and SSID Broadcast is enabled. I have tried channels 1 and 6 so far with no difference in speed between those 2. I will try 11 and see what Happens. The router is located above the floor in a relativaly open area. I did switch to WPA last week with no help from that also. I am going to look into those other things a little more and hopefully it will be fixed. If not I will repost.

Thanks

Chuck

castor

I think you can one more settings on your wireless Router. Login to your Router setup page. Click on Wireless Tab , and  Click on Advance wireless Settings, and under that you can change the Beacon Interval to 50, Fragmentation Threshold : 2306 and RTS Threshold : 2307 and click on save settings. This should solve your problem.

chuck1221

Thanks for the help. I now got it to connect easily and the internet to work all the time. Now I have the problem of the internet being considerably slower (half as fast) on the wireless computer than the internet on the wired computer. The setting that castor gave me made the internet a little faster however I am still very slow when compared to the other computer.

Is this normal? and what can I do about it other than run a wire?

Thanks,

CHuck

toomanydonuts

Most users report wireless speed in the range of 50% to 70% of their wired speed.

How far apart are the computer and router?

To verify your speeds, go to speedtest.net , then click on the golden pyramid.

Test your download and upload speeds (1) wireless, (2) wired to the router, and (3) wired directly to your modem.   Do each test 3 times and report back the best speeds in each configuration.

Also, please state the speed that you are paying for.

Jrpoole84

I've got the same issues. I have tried many different wireless adapters and routers, thinking maybe they were faulty...but they seem to degrade rapidly, and eventually are disconnecting me frequently. I am currently 20 feet from my router, on a wireless computer. Nothing between the router and this computer, except for empty space. My RTS is set to 2307, and Fragmentation is set to 2306. Speedtest.net shows me at about 3.8 mbps on a 7 mbps line. While that isn't TERRIBLE, it should be better considering the distance. Right? Or is that a normal hit, for being wireless? I play World of Warcraft, and my latency will vary from 200-600. It can be at 200, and lock up for a few seconds.
chuck1221

I think I had a partial interferance issue with all of the other apartments here. I think I got that taken care of but here are my new numbers.

Wired computer: 22684K down      2884 Up

Wireless computer (about 20 - 25ft away): 10279 down     8479 Up

I find it odd that my upload speed is much higher out here. My computer on the wireless connection is also much newer.

Chuck

toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]

I don't see many people with this fast of a connection, so it is hard to know what is "normal" wireless speed, when your wired speed is that high.

Under "ideal lab conditions"  (read: not in your home) wireless g, which "connects" at 54 Mbps, can deliver as much as 25 Mbps of data throughput.  But it is possible that the limits of the WRT54G might be lower than this.

Your wireless speed is certainly among the highest that I have seen reported here for wireless g.

Sorry, but I don't know what more to suggest.  Maybe someone else has an idea.

What wireless download and upload speeds are you paying for?

That 8000+ kbps upload looks like it might be a mistake, since your wired upload speed is much slower.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 02-06-2009 03:15 AM
chuck1221

I ended up going through all of with wireless signal settings 1 - 11 and number 8 was the only one I could get that kind of speed out of. I believe we have comcast 8 meg cable internet here. I'm not a 100% sure but I am happy with my current performance now. I was only getting speeds about 100k before if that. I do agree with the upload speeds being rather odd. I did the test 3 times with the same results +/- 150 each time though.

Thanks for all of the help everyone,

CHuck