Highlighted

WRT54G Need to Reset Regularly

I have an 18 month old V4 WRT54G.  Normally it works fine.  About a month ago we had a power outage for about 2 minutes and when the system came back up I could not access the internet.  I was able to see other computers on the local network (wired and wireless) but could not connect.  I checked the modem and found that I had Internet access when bypassing the router so the modem was fine.  Tried the power-on sequence of modem first, router second, computer third several times to no avail.  Called tech support and after speaking with two people was told to reset the router.  This worked and internet connectivity was restored.  Now, it seems like once a week I lose Internet access and can only get it back by resetting the router.  Not a huge issue but complicated to explain to my wife and kids if I wasn't around to do it - plus I need to reset the router password and other settings I have changed.  Any suggestions?  I have the latest firmware - updated it about 2 months ago.

Re: WRT54G Need to Reset Regularly

Amazing!  I was working on my PC using my WRT54G when I experienced a few second power outage.  Brought everything back up and had no connection to the network.  Reset just as you had from the Cable Modem to the router to the individual devices (everything on surge protector).  Neither the wireless nor hardwired connection worked.  Logged into the Router and it was extremely slow in responding.  All settings were the same and good.  To resolve the issue, I reset the router back to factory default and rebuilt it.  Worked for a few days, I left town, and it went out again.  The wife uses it for work everyday via VPN.  Had to have her direct connect to the Cable Modem and she had no problem all week other than having to move her stuff.

My Hi-Speed provider recently changed from Adelphia to Time-Warner.  I thought that may have something to do with it but when I could direct-connect, I kind of ruled them out.  Figured that maybe my WRT54G took too many hits over the few years that I owned it so I went out and bought a WRT350N.  Got it up and running, everything was solid and then this morning, I appear to have the same problem. 

I still suspect that there is some kind of conflict with the Linksys Router and Time Warner Cable.  Do you have Time Warner?

I have Comcast here in CT.

Routers seem to be sensitive to power surges and electrical noise.  You should be sure that they are plugged into a high quality surge suppressor with EMI/RFI filtering, such as the Belkin Gold Series.  A plain surge suppressor in not enough because it will only stop electrical spikes if they exceed about 330 volts.  The EMI/RFI filter is required because it significantly reduces electrical noise.  Also, make sure the surge supppressor is plugged into a properly grounded outlet.

If this does not correct the problem, re-download the latest firmware for your router, install it, then reset the router to factory defaults, then set up the router again from scratch.

If the router continues to "forget" its settings after this, the router is defective and needs to be replaced.  A router that "forgets" its settings is not secure.

Thanks - guess I'll rearrange my power scheme to get the router on the surge suppressor and keep an eye on the router - if it continually needs to be reset I'll have to look into getting a new one.

I too experienced this same issue. There was a power outage about 5 hours ago and I have been banging my head trying to troublehshoot my WRT54 v4. My local network worked but my Internet connection stopped working all together.

I could connect to the Internet by connecting the cable modem directly to the computer, so it wasn't the cable modem. And when the cable modem was connected to the WRT54G, the WRT54G successfully pulled an IP address from the cable modem, but I still couldn't connect to the Internet. What's very strange is that I could use the built-in WRT54G diagnostic tools and SUCCESSFULLY ping and traceroute Internet web addresses, but when my computers tried to connect, nothing but a page could not be found error message was displayed.

I got back on the Internet and found this thread by using an old/spare Linksys WRT54G v2 router that ALSO stopped working partially. The 4 physical LAN ports on that router stopped working but the wireless continued to work. Go figure. Good thing I kept it. I was able to hook up the old v2 router temporarily and access the Internet wirelessly from my laptop, did a google search and found many WRT54 owners reporting the same problem (simple power outages taking them out).

I hooked the v4 router back up and backed up my custom settings. Then I hard-reset the router. Wa-la, back online and I was able to connect to the Internet from all the computers again. When I restored my settings, all of my computers lost their connection again. **bleep**? So I hard-reset the WRT54G again, and was back online, then manually typed in my old settings (instead of importing them from the file). It appears that the firmware/settings somehow got corrupt after a simple power outage, and hard-resetting the router restored everything again.

I don't know what's wrong with the WRT54G's as this is my 4th WRT54G router in 3 years that I've had to replace. The quality of Linksys brand routers has gone downhill lately and I'm about to start recommending a different brand to our customers (I manage a computer consulting firm).

I use Time Warner and have experienced this issue, too...I don't know if it's them or not, but I just bought my second new router in 3 months and found this post. Symptoms: Intermittant: router stops responding completely every so often, even to direct physical connections. Unplugging usually works, but got to the point on my last router where factory resets were required and those did not last long. I think the surge-supressor idea has merit. I'm plugged into one, but it's a cheapy. I'll post here with my findings. Thanks everyone! rob

eriq wrote:
I too experienced this same issue. There was a power outage about 5 hours ago and I have been banging my head trying to troublehshoot my WRT54 v4. My local network worked but my Internet connection stopped working all together.
I could connect to the Internet by connecting the cable modem directly to the computer, so it wasn't the cable modem. And when the cable modem was connected to the WRT54G, the WRT54G successfully pulled an IP address from the cable modem, but I still couldn't connect to the Internet. What's very strange is that I could use the built-in WRT54G diagnostic tools and SUCCESSFULLY ping and traceroute Internet web addresses, but when my computers tried to connect, nothing but a page could not be found error message was displayed.
I got back on the Internet and found this thread by using an old/spare Linksys WRT54G v2 router that ALSO stopped working partially. The 4 physical LAN ports on that router stopped working but the wireless continued to work. Go figure. Good thing I kept it. I was able to hook up the old v2 router temporarily and access the Internet wirelessly from my laptop, did a google search and found many WRT54 owners reporting the same problem (simple power outages taking them out).
I hooked the v4 router back up and backed up my custom settings. Then I hard-reset the router. Wa-la, back online and I was able to connect to the Internet from all the computers again. When I restored my settings, all of my computers lost their connection again. **bleep**? So I hard-reset the WRT54G again, and was back online, then manually typed in my old settings (instead of importing them from the file). It appears that the firmware/settings somehow got corrupt after a simple power outage, and hard-resetting the router restored everything again.
I don't know what's wrong with the WRT54G's as this is my 4th WRT54G router in 3 years that I've had to replace. The quality of Linksys brand routers has gone downhill lately and I'm about to start recommending a different brand to our customers (I manage a computer consulting firm).

I have the issue as well.  It seems to happen a few times a month for me.  And powering the router down and back up does not work.  I have to reset the router every time.

So what is the consistent theme to resolve?  Is it power surges?  Is it people trying to access my network from outside?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[ Edited ]
I also facing the same issue with you guys. I own this WRT54G V4 more than 2 yrs and only use it occasionally.

Few months ago, I got a laptop and start using this router since I need to hook up a dekstop and laptop.

Few week ago, I started to face such problem and it was intermittently. Now, I have to reset this router everyday and reconfigure all the settings manually once I power on the router. If try to load the configuration file, the problem surface.

Had tried reflashing the firmware, lower the MTU, reset before or after reflashing firmware and no go.

Contacted Linksys email support from Singapore on 6 Dec and 10 Dec. Guess wat, didnt receive any reply. I only receive their auto acknowledgement which stated that they will reply within 1 business day.

I going to try third party firmware on the router and see how. If this cant solve the problem.

(Mod Note: Edited due to non-compliance of forum guidelines.)

Message Edited by giantherockstar on 12-13-2007 10:39 PM

Ok, here is the update. I had tried the third party firmware and it seem like the router is working properly now. I will monitoring this for awhile as I have not done the proper testing yet.

For those who wish to try the solution, the guide can be found at the following link:

Disclaimer:
This solution may or may not work on your unit. Try at your own risk.