Nauticall

WRT54G PoE

I know its possible to power a WRT54G using a WAPPoE. Is it possible to use an 802.11af switch and only use half of the WAPPoE at the WRT54G end of the connection?

TIA
Wizzard

Re: WRT54G PoE

well i don't think that the POE can be splitted using a switch..in fact, never heard of someone using this kind of set up
Nauticall

The spec of the PoE says its 802.11af so I'd have thought an 802.11af switch would provide power on the same pins as using the other half of the PoE. It would be a much neater installation and you'd just need to reboot the switch to power cycle the access points?
wpns

They've removed any reference to 802.3af from the WAPPOE (and, I imagine, the WAPPOE12) box and printed (but not online) literature, as these devices are demonstrably _not_ 802.3af Power Over Ethernet compatible.

In fact, using the WAPPOE injector will put 48VDC on the line _without_ checking to see if there's an 802.11af device on the other end, potentially destroying something valuable, so be very wareful when using these devices, and only use them in pairs!

I've confirmed this with Linksys tech support after a week of Emails and a lengthy phone call. Nice cheap devices, but nothing to do with Power Over Ethernet or 802.3af.

Sigh.
Nauticall

Thanks for clarifying that.
I guess that cans that idea then!  It'll have to be 802.3af switches and access points or lots of WAPPOE power injectors - it was almost a good idea!

Thanks for the info
wpns

http://www.phihong.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PUP&Product_Code=POE14-120 makes some nice splitters for a little lower price, and they really are 802.3af
Nauticall

Thanks for that - that'll acheive excatly what I want a nice tidy switch cupboard!
wpns

And to get back to Linksys, the SRW224P is a great PoE (yes, really 802.3af) managed switch with WWWWeb interface, at a great price per port. I've got two of them, and my only complaint is that they are _very_ noisy, way too noisy for an office environment, though it's too late for the one that sits above my desk. 8*|
Nauticall

Haven't put one in for a while, but the last time I used a Dlink PoE switch - went to look it up to give you the model number so you could compare it, but it seems to be discontinued now, so I may well give the Linksys a go - thanks for your input...
wpns

FWIW, D-Link lied to me so many times and produces products that only to a Marketing Liar(TM) actually does what it says in their brochures that I'll never buy another D-Link product again.

[Of course, Linksys' record with the WAPPOE and WAPPOE12 isn't any better, but Duh-Link is awful...]