Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
roggin

WRT54G Router random disconnects

Here is my setup: Windows XP, Linksys WRT54G Version 800.2, internet connection set to Automatic DHCP, MTU size set to 1494, Centurytel DSL internet.

Problem: I am experiencing random router disconnects. I lose both wired and wireless connections. I lose my internet connection and my wireless network. All I have to do is unplug and plug in the power to the router and my connection returns, but I can lose it again at anytime. This of course is not acceptable.

I know the internet connection is good because I can connect directly to my modem and it never drops out. I was using a D-Link router that was reliable, but it was old so I wanted to upgrade. Any suggestions as to where I can look for a solution? Any help would be appreciated.

toomanydonuts

Re: WRT54G Router random disconnects

[ Edited ]
If you have not already verified that your MTU is set correctly, then use this procedure to be certain that it is set correctly:

If this is not the problem, then download and install (or re-install) the latest firmware for your router.  After the firmware upgrade, you must reset the router to factory defaults, then setup the router again from scratch.  If you saved a router configuration file, DO NOT use it.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 02-23-2008 04:30 AM
roggin

Toomanydonuts,
Thanks for your input. I ran the ping procedure. I am not sure if I should use the last value that did not fragmnet (+28)or the first value that did, as the procedure suggests. I am going to try 1492, instead of the 1494 I originally used.

Could you tell me which version I need to download? The version on the label is V8 but the version in the status box is V8.00.2, so I'm not quite sure. Is it V8.00.5
maui29111

you must losd the latest firmware on the website try going to www.linksys.com/downloads

Ptilling

I have the same issue. For no apparent reason and radamly the router just stops working. The ports and wireless work just no traffic passing. all lights look normal. I did the Ping test MTU thing, have the latest firmware installed. Usually setting it to factory setting brings it back. This time no luck. I reinstalled the firmware as well , still  notthing. I get IP address from it but no access to the DSL router ( Cisco 675)
Ptilling

BTW my router is ver 1.1 running  WRT54GV4.0_4.21.1_US_code
saber_tooth

Goto www.linksys.com/download and enter model number, select version number and download latest firmware, which you can upgrade to.
toomanydonuts

to roggin  --

Assuming that you have a version 8.0 router, then the latest firmware is 8.00.5

If you are uncertain as to which version of the router you have, you can tell by the serial number.  Go to Wikipedia.org  and search for WRT54G, and you can use your serial number to tell which version of the router you have.
roggin

To toomanydonuts:

Thanks for your help. I haven't had any drops since 2/23 when I made the changes you suggested. I think setting the MTU to 1492 actually solved my issue.