Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ferret

WRT54G and Comcast Cable Modem Setup

Please help.  I just bought a LINKSYS WRT54GS and I'm trying to set up a wireless network for my laptop (No other computers on network), and my ISP is Comcast.  The model # on the Comcast Broadband Modem is DHG535-2 and the manufacturer is RCA.  The computer sees the network but only shows a local connection.  No internet.  I have tried everything and it will not let get on the internet.  I have checked all cables several times and the connections seem to be right.  I don't know where to go from here.  Can someone please help me?  I will be very grateful!

Thanks

SportIT

Re: WRT54G and Comcast Cable Modem Setup

Is your problem related to getting on the internet in general?  Or are you able to get on the internet, but now you need to get the wireless network setup?

1) There might be some lights on the cable modem that indicate if it is successfully connecting to the internet.  On mine(a different model/brand) I have three lights that must all be lit up to indicate I'm on the internet.  Whenever they are not all lit up, it is usually an indication that either there is a problem with comcast's network, a problem with my coaxial cables providing the Comcast service, interferance (one time they had to come out and replace some of their equipment at my apartment complex, if you have analog cable and look at the lower channels on your cables TV, 4-10,and there is lots of static, then this might be a problem, a tech told me those channels are close to the range that internet is provided on, so static on them can indicate problems that would also effect internet0, or the lights not being lit up might indicate you hagve registered that modem on their network.  There is some sort of process that you have to do when you first get comcast internet service that gets you setup on their network.  I believe it registers the MAC address of your cable modem.  If the lights are not lit up(this is where you need to refer to your cable modem manual to see what lights indicate problems), then you may need to go through this process or check with Comcast.

In my case I had a CD from comcast in the Startup Package, had to connect cable modem to my PC via USB(what a freaking pain), and then go through the software's wizard to get setup on their network.  This also installs some junk on my computer like a usb driver.  Additionally, I had a computer with two network cards, and the software would not work correctly on it(kept choosing the wrong network card.  I had to actually remove one of the cards, and then go through the wizard.

2) You should be able to connect the cable modem directly to your computer via CAT5, to see if you can get an itnernet connection that way first.  This will at least verify that you can get on the internet before you intreduce all the other variables of the router.  If you can't get on this way.

ferret

Thanks for the reply.   I can connect to the internet with no problems using the ethernet cable plugged in to the modem and the computer.  I'm just trying to get wireless so that I can take my laptop outside and different rooms.  Normally I don't have too many problems with this stuff.  But this one is driving me nuts.

Thanks 

Mort

Just reconfigure the wireless settings of your Router..

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab
- Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
- Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...
- Set the Wireless channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...

For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WEP, Encryption should be 64 bit.Leave the passphrase blank, don't type in anything...Under WEP Key 1 type in any 10 numbers please(numbers only and no letters eg: your 10 digit phone number) and click on save settings...Please make a note of WEP Key 1 as this is the Security Key for the Wireless Network...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 >>Click on "Save Settings"...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

ferret

Thank you sooooo much.  This sounds like it will work.  Gonna try it tonight.  Let you know how it works out.  Thanks again.