wrxnofx

WRT54G and WET610N Connection Issues

Hey all, newbie here to the forum.  I just bought a WET610N wireless bridge so that I could connect my Samsung Blu-Ray player up to it.

I'm not able to get it to connect to my WRT54G router and I can't figure out why.

I haven't changed much in the router settings from default other than SSID, enabled WPA TKIP encryption, using channel 4, and limited the number of DHCP connections to 15 (192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.114).  I haven't added any access restrictions, DMZ, QoS, etc.  I don't have MAC address filtering enabled, either.

On the wireless bridge, I have configured the SSID to that of the router, set up security to WPA Personal (there are no additional settings to specify TKIP or AES for some reason) to that of the router (copying the key from the router GUI to the bridge GUI so I know it's right), but it still won't connect.  If I look in the router clients table, it doesn't serve out any IP to the bridge.

I started the bridge out with DHCP, and since it didn't work I thought I'd try to give it a static IP.  So I set the IP to a value within the range allowed by the router (192.168.1.114), having made sure in the router clients table that the IP wasn't already assigned.  I set the subnet mask to that of the router (255.255.255.0) and the Gateway to that of the router (192.168.1.1).  When I save the changes in the bridge, I can no longer even access the bridge's GUI, either from the default IP of 169.254.1.250 or from the newly assigned IP of 192.169.1.114.  Again, the server client table never shows an IP being assigned.

What am I doing wrong here?  Is there a setting I have to change in my WRT54G to allow a bridge to be on the system?  Like, do I have to change it's operating mode from Gateway to Router?  Any ideas?  Any help is appreciated.

helm

Re: WRT54G and WET610N Connection Issues

The ip which you assigned to WET610 is 192.169.1.114 where in the default gateway is 192.168.1.1 and the router DHCP range is (192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.114). WET610N will not work because the ip assigned to WET610N is wrong, It is suppose to be 192.168.1.114.

To make both work with each other you need to change some settings on your Router...

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab

- Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
- Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...
- Set the Wireless channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...

For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...

Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select TKIP...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key. For example , MySecretKey , This will serve as your network key whenever you connect to your wireless network. Do NOT give this key to anyone and remember the key.

NOTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings

Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 >>Click on "Save Settings"...

Now try to connect and check.

wrxnofx

ARG, that was a typo on my part.  I had assigned the ip to 192.168.1.114, not 192.169.1.114 as I stated.

I also performed the modifications to my router as you stated, and no dice.  I still cannot connect.  I'm out of ideas.  I'm ready to return this thing.

I can connect to my neighbors unsecured WRT54GS router with no problem at all.

I'm not going to drop my security settings just to connect a bridge to it.  What I really don't understand is, how do I know if the bridge is trying to connect as to the router as WPA TKIP or WPA AES encryption?  It's not like it says. 

wrxnofx

Okay, now I'm just angry.  If I turn off the wireless security to my own WRT54G router, the bridge connects just fine.  Once connected to the router, I can assign a static IP to the bridge and still remain connected to my router.  If I reboot the router and the bridge, everything reconnects just fine on reboot of both devices.

As soon as I apply any kind of security to my router and duplicate the security on the bridge, it no longer connects.

Unless anyone can offer me any further advice, this thing is going back.

wrxnofx

[ Edited ]

Okay, I finally got this thing to work with WPA Personal, TKIP security encryption.

The problem is that you cannot have spaces in your passphrase.  As soon as I took the spaces out everything worked like a champ.

Hopefully this closes the feedback loop for some other poor sap in the future and they don't have to do all the troubleshooting I did.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this forum.