Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
JDuc

WRT54G - cannot log in to router?

We have just moved to a new house and had to change our ISP. We have gone with AT&T/Yahoo DSL Internet as it's our only option out here unfortunately.

When I'm hardwired into the DSL modem, I can get to the net, however, if I try and access it through the router I cannot.

Previously at our old house I had set-up the wireless network with a different SSID and 128bit WEP key.  All computers were able to connect fine.

I plugged it into the new modem and went to search for a wireless network and found it listed and was able to connect just fine on 2 different laptops.  However, we were unable to access the Internet.  So I went into the router via the local IP to check everything out, all looked correct.  So then I decided maybe I would just reset the router and start from scratch.

I unplugged it, held in the reset button while plugging power back in.  It took me to a firmware update page...which I wasn't expecting but I guess that's the firmware update reboot method...my bad.  So I connected via my Sprint EVDO card and downloaded the latest firmware...1.02.2.  Installed and got a success message.

Then I downloaded the owners manual and followed the directions to reset the router (hold down the reset button for 5 seconds...more like 8) and reset it. 

Now when I try and access the router (192.168.1.1) I get the same log-in pop-up window, but nothing I put in works!

I've tried the standard blank user name and 'admin' as the password, I've tried username: admin, password: admin, I've tried my old password and user name...nothing.

After I hit cancel about 5 times it takes me to what looks like the page for the router settings but it's not all there...I can see that the SSID has been reset to the factory name but I cannot navigate, etc.

What have I messed up!?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
toomanydonuts

Re: WRT54G - cannot log in to router?

You need to reset the router to factory defaults, then setup your router again from scratch.  If you saved a router configuration file, DO NOT use it.

To reset your router to factory defaults, use the following procedure:

1) Power down all computers, the router, and the modem, and unplug them from the wall.
2) Disconnect all wires from the router.
3) Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
4) Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release it, then let the router reset and reboot (2-3 minutes).
5) Power down the router.
6) Connect one computer by wire to port 1 on the router (NOT to the internet port).
7) Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
8) Power up the computer (if the computer has a wireless card, make sure it is off).
9) Try to ping the router. To do this, click the "Start" button > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. A black DOS box will appear. Enter the following: "ping 192.168.1.1" (no quotes), and hit the Enter key. You will see 3 or 4 lines that start either with "Reply from ... " or "Request timed out." If you see "Reply from ...", your computer has found your router.
10) Open your browser and point it to 192.168.1.1. This will take you to your router's login page. Leave the user name blank, and in the password field, enter "admin" (with no quotes). This will take you to your router setup page. Note the version number of your firmware (usually listed near upper right corner of screen). Exit your browser.

If you get this far without problems, try the setup disk (or setup the router manually, if you prefer), and see if you can get your router setup and working.

If you cannot get "Reply from ..." in step 9 above, your router is dead.

If you get a reply in step 9, but cannot complete step 10, then either your router is dead or the firmware is corrupt. In this case, use the Linksys tftp.exe program to try to reload your router with the latest firmware. After reloading the firmware, repeat the above procedure starting with step 1.

If you need additional help, please state your ISP, the make and model of your modem, your router's firmware version, and the results of steps 9 and 10. Also, if you get any error messages, copy them exactly and report back.

Please let me know how things turn out for you.
JDuc

[ Edited ]
I cannot get #10 to work.  I can ping the router.  If I go to my browser and enter in the IP (192.168.1.1) it comes up with the user name and password window.  I blank out the user name and enter in the password as 'admin' and it just pops back up like it's wrong.  I try user name: admin and password: admin and it lets me into the router window...sometimes...however, if I go in and change something (say the SSID and time zone) then hit save it comes back with the typical page cannot be found window.

I've updated the firmware using the suggested .exe program and have received a successful notice.  However, I still cannot log into the router.  I get the exact same results.

I'm running a WRT54G, Rev. 5 with the 1.02.2 firmware.

AT&T/Yahoo DSL with a Motorola 2210-02 modem.

Message Edited by JDuc on 10-10-2007 07:14 AM
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
The only other thing that I can think of that might cause this (other than a dead router) is something interferring with the connection between the router and your computer.  The most common cause for this type of interference is a firewall problem, but other factors can also cause this.  Here are some tips to get this connection working:

Use Internet Explorer, it usually works.
JavaScript must be enabled.
Use a computer that is wired to the router.
In the non-working computer, temporarily turn off your software firewall (including Windows Firewall).

If you are using Zone Alarm, right click on the ZA icon in the system tray (lower right corner of screen) and then click "Shutdown ZoneAlarm", and see if this fixes your problem. If this does not work, try the following with Zone Alarm: Open the ZAISS control center, go to Privacy, then temporarily turn off Ad Blocking and Cookie Control, and see if that fixes your problem.

If you are using Noton Internet Security with the Add-on Pack, be sure to turn off the Pop-up Blocker. Some users have reported that they needed to uninstall the entire Norton Add-on Pack.

If you cannot get anything at 192.168.1.1 then perhaps this is not your router's address. Go to "Start" > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
A black DOS box will appear. Type in "ipconfig" (with no quotes), then hit the Enter key. Look at the "Default Gateway". Is it 192.168.1.1 ? Point your browser to the "Default Gateway", then login to your router.

If the above fails, disconnect your modem from the router, and try again. If this corrects your problem, then most likely you have a "modem-router" rather than an ordinary modem. Check to see if your "modem-router" is using the same 192.168.1.x address space as your Linksys router. If it is, then report back with this problem, and also state the make and model of your modem-router.

If all of the above fails, power down your entire system, unplug it from the wall, wait one minute, then power up and try again.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 10-10-2007 03:01 PM
JDuc

Use Internet Explorer, it usually works. - using 7.0
JavaScript must be enabled. - enabled
Use a computer that is wired to the router. - doing so already
In the non-working computer, temporarily turn off your software firewall (including Windows Firewall). - never have it turned on anyways - causes more problems than it prevents in my case.

If you are using Zone Alarm, right click on the ZA icon in the system tray (lower right corner of screen) and then click "Shutdown ZoneAlarm", and see if this fixes your problem. If this does not work, try the following with Zone Alarm: Open the ZAISS control center, go to Privacy, then temporarily turn off Ad Blocking and Cookie Control, and see if that fixes your problem. - not using Zone Alarm, not sure what that is even.

If you are using Noton Internet Security with the Add-on Pack, be sure to turn off the Pop-up Blocker. Some users have reported that they needed to uninstall the entire Norton Add-on Pack. - using McAfee

If you cannot get anything at 192.168.1.1 then perhaps this is not your router's address. Go to "Start" > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
A black DOS box will appear. Type in "ipconfig" (with no quotes), then hit the Enter key. Look at the "Default Gateway". Is it 192.168.1.1 ? Point your browser to the "Default Gateway", then login to your router. - shows as 192.168.1.1 when plugged in directly to the router

If the above fails, disconnect your modem from the router, and try again. If this corrects your problem, then most likely you have a "modem-router" rather than an ordinary modem. Check to see if your "modem-router" is using the same 192.168.1.x address space as your Linksys router. If it is, then report back with this problem, and also state the make and model of your modem-router. - I've been doing this all along with just my laptop connected to the wireless router.  I've tried to cut everything else out of the picture.  The modem only has one network port on it so there's no way it can be a router.  The router uses 192.168.1.254 as it's IP address.  The make and model of the modem is a Motorola 2210-02.

If all of the above fails, power down your entire system, unplug it from the wall, wait one minute, then power up and try again. - no dice.

HOWEVER, I have some different news now. For some unknown reason I'm able to access the router...went to lunch and left everything alone, came back and now I can access it without any problems.  Go figure...

There still remains a BIG problem though...when I'm plugged directly into the modem with my laptop, I can get Internet.  If I plug the modem into the router, then go either wireless or wired to the router, I cannot get Internet.  If I go wireless and connect to the network I've set up, I'm able to enter in the network key and connect just fine...I just cannot get to the Internet.  I can't even ping Google. "Ping request could not find host www.google.com.  Please check the name and try again."

I can connect with 3 total laptops but I cannot actually access the Internet with them when going through the wireless.

Sorry for the red text, I tried to use the bb code for quote before but it didn't work so I did this to help separate my text from yours.

Thanks for all the help thus far.
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
I'm a bit confused when you said  "The router uses 192.168.1.254 as its IP address".  Do you mean that your Motorola modem is using this address?

Just to clarify:  Just because your Motorola has only one ethernet port, this does not mean that it is not a router.  Motorola makes several routers that have only one ethernet port, including the 2100 series.  For example, using only an additional hub or switch, you can connect 32 network devices to the 2100 modem-router.  I was unable to locate a manual for your 2210-02, but I would not be surprised if it can do the same.  If you have a URL for the manual for your 2210-02 modem, please post it.

I am suspicious that your Motorola and your Linksys are both trying to use the same 192.168.1.x  address space.

Now that you can access your WRT54G, you will need to change its address to 192.168.2.1     To do this, do the following:

Go back to my 10 step post and do steps 1, 2, and 6 thru 10, except in step 10, instead of exiting your browser, do the following:

Set the "Local IP address" to 192.168.2.1  then click the "Save Settings" button, then wait (3-60 seconds) for the screen to refresh.  Note:  You might be disconnected from the router at this point - don't worry if this happens.
Next power down the router.
Reconnect the ethernet port of the Motorola to the Internet port on the WRT54G.
Power up your system, and test it.

Note that your Linksys will now be using the 192.168.2.x  address space.  To access the Linksys setup pages, point your browser to 192.168.2.1

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 10-10-2007 10:32 PM
JDuc

THAT DID IT!

I was misleading in my post earlier...I meant to say that the modem uses the IP 192.168.1.254.

I guess there was a conflict since both the modem and the router used 192.168.1.x.

Changing the router to 192.168.2.1 seemed to have solved the problem.

Come to think of it, when I talked with the AT&T Tech initially to get our service set-up she said something along the lines that the modem was a modem AND a wireless router.  I don't think that's the case since this thing doesn't have any wireless antennas and when you access it there's no indication of any wireless settings. But maybe she meant it was a modem AND a router...

Now I need to find out how I should go about connecting another router to this Motorola so that I can get a few more than 4 wired ports but I don't need wireless.  I'd like to have about 6 wired ports total...

Which Linksys device would you recommend?  Just a 4 port hub and daisy chain them (the wireless router and the 4 port hub) together somehow?
toomanydonuts

Buy a Linksys SD208 switch (or alternatively the SD216).  Wire any port on the switch to any LAN port on the router.  All the remaining ports will act as if they were built into the router.  The switch requires no firmware, and no setup.  Just plug it in and it works.

Note that when you connect your router and a switch, you will "waste" one port on the router, and one port on the switch.  So a 4 port router plus an 8 port switch will give you 4+8-2 = 10 useful ports that you can attach your wired devices to.

Also, do you have a URL for the user guide for your Motorola?
JDuc

I tried looking for a user guide by Googling the model number but I didn't get anything really relevent...just a few other forums where people were talking about how they thought it was similar to a previous model.

Sorry!
LaderaTechHelp

My personal thanks for a clear answer! My DSL Modem was a SpeedStreem 5360, that kept disconnecting. The AT&T guy on-site just said buy a Motorola 2210, knowing full well there was already a Linksys router in the setup. I'm going to look more closely at the other Netopia/Motorola ADSL products: maybe my LinkSys Wireless Router is no longer needed for my small network.