dissendum

WRT54G drops connection

Hi everybody.
I just got a WRT54G router and installed it right away. I use an iMac (wired) and an iBook G4 (wireless). At the beginning it was working well, but after about an hour using it the connection dropped.
I restarted the router, after this it worked again, but after a few minutes the connection dropped again.
This happens regullary and , when it does, all connections drop. As the wireless and wired connections.
It'll be great if someone could help me..
Kind Regards
Daniel D.
Musicmann

Re: WRT54G drops connection

I just posted basically the same message above & I am losing my mind over this problem. Unfortunately I have no answers. But I have the same problem as you. 3 Macs and 2 (HP) Windows units. Same problem in all. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP :-]
Thank you for posting.

could you check the firmware version on the setup page? 192.168.1.1 in IE?
it should be the latest 1.02.0 there are some known issues with 1.00.9
regards,
appu.
Hawkeyetoo

I have eht same WRT54G ver6.0 and have upgraded the firmware to 1.02. no difference.  I have also optimized the WRU (mine was 1020).  still looses connection with the internet (Cable).  Any suggestions?
gfixelle

I too had this exact same problem.  Please note that "had" is the past tense.  This is a consistent problem and the geniuses on the help desk don't have a clue how to fix it.  In looking at this and other forums, found a website with step-by step instructions to change the OS to Linux and change the firmware.  Have been rock solid ever since,  Once you change, the admin pages appear differently but you have access to the same admin fields as well as some additonal information.  I
BTW...Have been rock solid for 8 days.  Prior, was rebooting router 4-5x daily

PS  Please note that when you are finished.. The username is root and the password is admin.  This information is in the notes.txt file
dissendum

[ Edited ]
upgraded the firmware, no difference. :smileysad:

Message Edited by dissendum on 03-23-200702:11 PM

gfixelle

You upgrade the Linksys posted firmware or you changed to Linux with the DD-WRT firmware?  I have been running for 9 days without a drop
CourtneyH

My question is does anyone know if Linksys are going to fix this?  I am not inclined to do a fix that might be undone by Linksys in the near future.  I agree that if it works and Linksys doesn't fix this I will have no choice.

Anyone heard a response from the company?  Seems to have occurred right as they released the latest version 8 of this router I noticed.
gfixelle

Good question.  I have returned 3 Linksys V6 that kept dying and was provided a refurb v6 in return.  Will they replace your defective unit with a V8?  I doubt it.  It literally took me 3 minutes to download the file and 6 minutes to upgrade.  It's worth the effort
dissendum

Ok, so I searched for a computer expert and he fixed it by only changing the cable from the modem to the router. He said something about a "crossed connection".
Gonna post details soon, maybe it'll help someone else.
Anyways, just happy that it works now!

Oh, and that post about Linksys and fixing this: It's a very good question, indeed.