Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
sheepscrossing

WRT54G - how can I see attached devices?

I have installed the WRT54g and have it working just fine, but I can't see what devices are attached to the access point. I can't find an "attached devices" tab similar to what other routers/access points have. How can I see what devices are attached to my router? I have the V6 chipset with 1.00.9 firmware. Any comments would be appreciated.
Wizzard

Re: WRT54G - how can I see attached devices?

access the router using http://192.168.1.1 .. once on the ui , go to "status" , click on "local network" subtab and there will be a tab named DHCP Clients Table .. This will show all the attached devices to the router ..
sheepscrossing

Thanks, I had found that tab but it doesn't show any devices that aren't DHCPed. I have a print server with a static IP, for example that doesn't show anywhere. I have set up Mac Filtering and WEP but I'm still curious to see if anyone is trying to connect. I work in IT at a hospital with a large network and I guess I'm paranoid.
Expert
Expert

There are two lists:

- the DHCP client lists. Only DHCP clients will appear here and the list does not say whether the client is actually still connected (if it did not release the IP address during shutdown).

- the wireless client list. It is well hidden behind the wireless MAC address filter function. You have to enable the function. Then edit the list. On the pop-up window you should have a button to show your the wireless client mac list. These are all active wireless links regardless of static or dynamic IP.

You cannot see the computers with a static IP address wired to your network. There is no way to do that.
sheepscrossing

Yep, the print server is there as you indicated- Thanks. The display is a little funky and doesn't show IP addresses that aren't DHCP but at least the MAC address is there. Thanks again.
Expert
Expert

The wireless MAC client list cannot really contain static IP addresses. The wireless connection is 802.11g. It is ethernet. It is not IP. For the same reason you don't have a list of computers with static IP address wired to the router you don't have it for the wireless.

And even the DHCP IP address only show you what was last leased and not really what the actual IP address(es) of the computer may be. (e.g. when you switch from dynamic to static and the computer does not release the DHCP lease before switching...)

You wrote something before about "paranoid", "WEP", "large network", and "hospital". You very much hope you are not saying that the wireless network in your hospital is protected only by WEP. WEP is cracked within a few minutes. MAC address filtering etc. is no protection at all as MAC addresses can easily be faked. And attacker will simply use a MAC address of another device which connected previously to the wireless network.

For a secure wireless network you must use WPA2 or WPA! If you don't use WPA/WPA2 your wireless network is more or less unsecure.

In addition, for a larger network, I would highly recommend to setup a RADIUS server for strong network access authentication. The RADIUS server should be used to control access to the wireless network and the key provisioning as well as control access to the wired network (which is hopefully built with managed switches which allow access control to the network...)

Only with RADIUS you actually really know which computers/devices access your network.