Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
gcbodie

WRT54G keeps dropping wireless connections

Wired connection to the router works fine. But it drops all the wireless devices (PC, phone, tablet) multiple times each day, sometimes only 30-60 minutes after reconnecting. Power cycling the router "fixes" the router and allows reconnection. There are 2 topics in the FAQ section that looked helpful:

but clicking on those does not bring up anything. Anyone know where to find those 2 FAQs? Any other ideas for what might be causing this?

opheliaimmortal23

Re: WRT54G keeps dropping wireless connections

Hi. You may need to do firmware upgrade on your router as is the case these days for legacy routers.  What is the hardware version by the way? You can find it at the bottom of the router right after the tiny print of the model. Access homesupport.cisco.com and search for the model. When you get the router's page click downloads below support sections and from there you have to select the hardware version, once you do that you will see the firmware version for the said hardware version. Usually it is a bin file when you save it and you can open that one on the router's page. Once you access your router's page go to Administration and click Firmware Upgrade and select the file you downloaded from the website. Make sure that you do this upgrade with a computer plugged-in to the router. When upgrade is done, you do a 30-second reset and unplug/replug the router also for 30 seconds. You may refer to this link http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=4030.

As for the link for Getting poor or no signal from a wireless router, I found this one from Cisco's public kb site but not able to for the other one but I believe they are related.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=d9a3b1b2039741948a2365b053a93ea8_3759.xml&pid=80&r...

Try to change channels as well on your router: you can try 1,3,6,9. Make sure the router is placed at least 3 feet above ground and check the antenna as well if it is still okay.

gcbodie

Hardware is V8. Firmware is v8.00.8 build 001, Oct. 5, 2009. I have upgraded the firmware on this and previous routers over the years, no sweat. I'm hesitant to call the problem a firmware issue because it WAS working correctly, then I did a factory reset and reconfigured it from scratch, and since then it has been dropping connections. No change to the physical position or so\urroundings. So my initial theory was that I had made some configuration error that makes it flakey in my environment. I hoped the missing articles would help identify that. Second thoery would be internittent hardware failure that showed up when I reset the box. Firmware is #3 but that really means we've run out of reasonable theories and we're trying anything.

Router is positioned on a shelf in the basement about 15' (through the wooden floor) from the devices connecting to it. Antennae look fine. Connectors are all tight. I'm using channel 6, SSID broadcast enabled, SES inactive, set my own SSID, security is WPA2 Personal using TKIP+AES, MAC filters disabled, no changes made to the default "advanced wireless settings". Changing just one thing at a time, I'll try channel 3, and if that doesnt help I'll try the others.

Thanks for finding that article, thoguh nothing particular in there led me to a better potential theory because most of the ideas are things that have not changed since it was working OK. I'd still like to find that toher article as it looked even more promising.

Expert
jlbjlb

[ Edited ]

This will help you take the guess work out of finding the right channel.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

You didn't say whether or not you had DSL or Cable modem.  Often times people with a DSL modem that is a router too forget they changed the local ip of their WRT54G to 192.168.2.1 to avoid the double nat on the same subnet.  So when they reset their WRT54G to factory defaults, it reverts back to the 192.168.1.1 default and they start double natting on the same subnet.  It usually leads to getting the "limited or no connectivity".  Power cycling the modem and router usually clears it up for an hour or two.

So if the channel and firmware thing doesn't work, I would explore the possibility of the double nat.

gcbodie

Cable modem from Shaw, Ethernet from there is input to my WRT54G. I know I never changed the router's IP to 192.168.2.1 before or currently. Never had a problem before, so don't think "double NAT" needs to be considered.

However, I do note that when the wireless has "tied itself in knots" such that I cannot connect wirelessly, I also cannot connect on my wired connection to http://192.168.1.1. Even through all that though, my wired connection still has completely normal internet access. The .1.1 never responds till I reset the router.

Originally was on channel 6 and had trouble. Switched to 3 an didn't see any improvement. Trying 9 now, don't know for sure, but it does not seem improved. I'll try inSSIDer and see what it thinks.

opheliaimmortal23

gcbodie wrote:

Cable modem from Shaw, Ethernet from there is input to my WRT54G. I know I never changed the router's IP to 192.168.2.1 before or currently. Never had a problem before, so don't think "double NAT" needs to be considered.

However, I do note that when the wireless has "tied itself in knots" such that I cannot connect wirelessly, I also cannot connect on my wired connection to http://192.168.1.1. Even through all that though, my wired connection still has completely normal internet access. The .1.1 never responds till I reset the router.

Originally was on channel 6 and had trouble. Switched to 3 an didn't see any improvement. Trying 9 now, don't know for sure, but it does not seem improved. I'll try inSSIDer and see what it thinks.

Try channel 1 and 11 as well. Please post back the results using inSSIDER.

gcbodie

inSSIDer said 11 was 100% and no conflicts, so I switched to that. I also moved the router closer to the intended use area. I put inSSIDer on my Android phone and used it like a Fluke signal strength meter and walked around. Looks like about -60 DBm at the desk where I need it. It connects fine like that and works well.

BUT, I left it like that overnght and when I got up in the morning, 2 things had happened:

1 - sitting 2 feet from the router I cannot reliably connect. Signal strength on channel 11 is about between -85 and-98 DBm.

2 - using a wired connection to the router it cannot bring up the login dialog or (in case I still am logged in) any of the config pages, but my wired internet access through the router to the internet still works as expected.

This is what I have seen before. When I power cycle the router, everything works well. At some indeterminate time after that, the router seems to tie itself in knots and almost stop broadcasting on the selected channel and stop listening on the admin interface but still route the wired connection as intended. Happened lots of times - that's why I'm here!

What's next to try?

Expert
jlbjlb

After you power cycle the router and it comes back online, check and see what all of your ip addresses are and post them here.  Make note of the device ip address and the default gateway.

And then when your network gets tied up in knots, do the same and post ip addresses of all of your devices and default gateway.

To check on a computer, just go to a command prompt and type ipconfig /all

http://oit.ncsu.edu/resnet/ipconfig

gcbodie

WRT54G has wired connections and all but one of them uses a static IP, so I'll just report on the DHCP'd one, right? All of the wireless devices are DHCP of course. The default gateway is the router and it's configured in all static IP machines as 192.168.1.1 and they continue to work to access the internet, so I can assume with confidence that the router still has an IP of 192.168.1.1 so I don't think I need to reportt hat address. And since we're talking about DHCP, the lease time is the defaul = 0 (1 day) and the range I gave it to work with is 192.168.1.200-209. There are only 5 wireless devices and 1 wired device that MIGHT at any given time be trying to connect using a DHCP assigned IP, so the scope does not get exhausted and the speed at which the problem occurs is faster than the lease renewal of 1/2 day.

I'll respond with the test results later - just the IPs reported by any DHCP device. I'll report what the device thinks and what the router's DHCP table says initially because I wont be able to see the DHCP table once the problem happens because I can't get in to the router's admin interface. OK?

jaymay

How about you set the encryption type to AES only. Check if that will improve the connectivity. You may consider changing the advanced wireless settings as well. You may try these settings: beacon interval: 50, dtim internval: 3, fragmentation threshold: 2304, and rts threshold: 2304.