BuzzGordon

WRT54G password protect from neighbors?

I have a linksys WRT54G router. I am able to get to the admin menu via IP 192.168.1.1 but can not figure out where to to navigate to or how to put a (password on the wireless access) so my neighbors wont be able to use my router to get on the internet. Does anyone know how to do this?
toomanydonuts

Re: WRT54G password protect from neighbors?

You will need to login to the router at 192.168.1.1 , then click on the tabs at the top marked "Wireless", and "Security".   Use these tabs, and the subtabs below them to navigate to the pages where you setup your wireless security.

Here are my tips for setting up wireless security:

To set up wireless security, you must use a computer that is wired to the router.

Where to find the router settings: The router's login password is usually on one of the "Administration" pages. The other settings are all found in the "Wireless"  or "Security" sections of the router's setup pages, located at 192.168.1.1

First, give your router a unique SSID. Don't use "linksys".
Make sure "SSID Broadcast" is set to "enabled".

Next, leave the router at its default settings (except for the unique SSID), and then use your pc to connect wirelessly to the router. Test your wireless Internet connection and make sure it is working correctly. You must have a properly working wireless connection before setting up wireless security.

To implement wireless security, you need to do one step at a time, then verify that you can still connect your wireless computer to the router.

Next, encrypt your wireless system using the highest level of encryption that all of your wireless devices will support. Common encryption methods are:

WEP - poor (see note below)
WPA (sometimes called PSK, or WPA with TKIP) - good
WPA2 (sometimes called PSK2, or WPA with AES) - best

WPA and WPA2 sometimes come in versions of "personal" and "enterprise". Most home users should use "personal". Also, if you have a choice between AES and TKIP, and your wireless equipment is capable of both, choose AES. With any encryption method, you will need to supply a key (sometimes called a "password" ).

The wireless devices (computers, printers, etc.) that you have will need to be set up with the SSID, encryption method, and key that matches what you entered in the router.

Retest your system and verify that your wireless Internet connection is still working correctly.

And don't forget to give your router a new login password.

Picking Passwords (keys): You should never use a dictionary word as a password. If you use a dictionary word as a password, even WPA2 can be cracked in a few minutes. When you pick your login password and encryption key (or password or passphrase) you should use a random combination of capital letters, small letters, and numbers, but no spaces. A login password, should be 12 characters or more. WPA and WPA2 passwords should be at least 24 characters. Note: Your key, password, or passphrase must not have any spaces in it.

Most home users should have their routers set so that "remote management" of the router is disabled. If you must have this option enabled, then your login password must be increased to a minumum of 24 random characters.

One additional issue is that Windows XP requires a patch to run WPA2. Go to Microsoft Knowledge base, article ID=917021 and it will direct you to the patch.
Sadly, the patch is not part of the automatic Windows XP updates, so lots of people are missing the patch.

Note:
WEP is no longer recommended. The FBI has demonstrated that WEP can be cracked in just a few minutes using software tools that are readily available over the Internet. Even a long random character password will not protect you with WEP. You should be using WPA or preferably WPA2 encryption.

maui29111

access 192.168.1.1 with admin as password - then go to the wireless tab and click on the subtab on the blue pane "wireless security" then set your security for the wireless...
forsaken

Goto wireless tab, and here change wireless network name. Now just below wireless rab, we have more sub options. Here clcik on wireless security and set appropriate wireless security.
tomatei

someone here may know. former tech person set up network. do not have un/pw he set us. how do i restart from scratch to reset the hub?
MelihSalih

thanks