Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ericks

WRT54G password reset?

We have a cable modem and I have a Mac G4 and my wife has a Dell laptop. We've been using the WRT54G for about six months now without problems. She has been connecting wirelessly with her laptop and I have been connecting wired through the ethernet connection from the router. We want to move my Mac to a spot in the house that won't be accessible via a wired connection. I bought a Sonnet PCI wireless card and installed it. I'm using AirPort software to connect to the WRT54G. In the configuration menu, I need to provide a password, but my wife doesn't remember what she used when she started up the network. Apparently, she told be that she entered a password when setting up the connection and then a random number was generated. She wrote down the number (a long string with letters and numbers) but not the password she used. We've tried everything that we thought it could have been to no avail. I know I can hold down the reset button on the router for 30 seconds and it will be wiped clean, but will that fix this problem?

Re: WRT54G password reset?

Hi,

That would not be a 100% guarantee to solve your problem. Holding the reset button will reset the router back into factory defaults, thus all the settings and configurations on the router will be wiped clean, then you can connect to the network which will be default, named as linksys and you can connect to that network with out any problem at all, since it will not ask you for any password.

But the next problem is, the configurations on the router will be wiped clean and might probably lose internet connection using the router with a wired or a wireless connection. Even though it will say that you are connected, but because the settings or configurations on the router are erased , then you need to set the settings back in order for the router to be synchronized to the modem and so that the router will provide its internet connection back on your wired or wireless connection.

Hope this will clarify you.

you need to access the router set-up page to check for the correct password... since you're using a MAC pc:
if you don't know the address of the router:
1. click on the apple icon.
2. go to system preferences.
3. then go to networks.
4. on the TCP/IP tab, look for router no (e.g. 192.168.1.1)

if you already know your router's address:
1. open-up a web browser.
2. on the address field/bar, type-in the router's no. (e.g. 192.168.1.1) then press enter or click go
3. you'll be prompted for a username and password. by default, leave the username field blank and for the password type-in admin, then press OK.
4. on the Linksys set-up page, click on the wireless tab,  and wireless security, on that page you'll find the encryption type and the password (if the encryption is WEP, the password is listed under key no.1,2,3 or 4).

by the way you need to do this if the pc is hardwired to the router, okay!

PEACE!:manvery-happy:
anti_arianti

Hi.. I am not a MAC user, I tried to follow below tricks but the password "admin" was not successfull. Is there any other way to solve it?

Thanks!

el lolo

klk

abrush

We had a power outage and I cann't get a secured wireless connection.  I had our modem reset by our internet provider, but they wouldn't reset our linkys router for our laptop because it was not their equipment.  I know which connection it is but I forgot the original password to secure the line.  I can use the line but it is unsecured and I don't want to use it.

I called linksy and they want to charge me $169 to reset it and that was rediculous!!  So I am looking for help?

abrush

I am using a Dell PC and a toshia laptop

kram namllew

need to link to i pod   requires password to allow wi-fi link for linksys

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

You can check your password by logging in the router's set up page. Instructions are in the link below.

Checking the Wireless Settings on a Linksys Router

DENISE WILSON

I just went to that website and found it most unhelpful.  It requires your PASSWORD to continue.  How can you check your password if you don't remember what it is?  

Frustratedly yours,

Denise