Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
bi89187

WRT54G resetting to factury default by itself???

I have a WRT54G router Ver. 5 with firmware v. 1.02.5.  This is the second time this has happened to me but the router reset itself to the factory defaults. I lost all my configurations. Does anyone know why this would be happening?  I'm saving the configuration this time but it will be annoying to keep having to reconfigure the router.

Any ideas?
toomanydonuts

Re: WRT54G resetting to factury default by itself???

Routers seem to be sensitive to electrical surges and noise. This can cause them to loose their settings. You should keep your router plugged into a high quality surge suppressor with EMI/RFI filtering, such as the Belkin SurgeMaster Gold Series. A surge suppressor alone is not enough because surge suppression does not start until the voltage exceeds 330 volts. Alternatively, most UPS devices have both surge suppression and EMI/RFI filtering.

If this does not prevent your router from "forgetting" its settings, then download and install (or re-install) the latest firmware for your router.  After a firmware upgrade, you must reset the router to factory defaults, then setup the router again from scratch.  If you saved a router configuration file, DO NOT use it.

If you still have trouble with the router forgetting its settings, then the router is malfunctioning, and it should be replaced. A router that forgets its settings is not secure.
bi89187

Thanks. I will try a new surge protector. I think the first time this happened I did loose power at the house. The second time I was away so I'm not sure but it didn't seem like I lost power based on other things at the house but it's possible.
great_white

Try looking for upgrade of the firmware on the router ....
After upgrade .... reset & reconfigure the router & see if it works ....
toomanydonuts

One other thought crossed my mind.  Are you running an unsecured wireless network?  If so, then perhaps a neighbor (intentionally or unintentionally) connected to your router wirelessly, and reset your router to factory defaults.

[ Edited ]
For information on upgrading the firmware on the linksys routers :

http://linksysfirmwares.googlepages.com/upgradingfirmware

For information on wireless security :

Message Edited by theonkar on 08-13-2008 05:30 AM

C | EH

linksyshelp.blogspot.com
bi89187

I am running the latest firmware from Linksys on the router. I'm can't remember if I did a reset after the upgrade though.

Also the wireless is secured.

The power issue sounds like it might be the problem.
PaulT75

I too have had this problem.  Quite worrying given that it resets itself to be an unsecured wireless network.

JohnZ1

I am having the same issue.  It reset itself twice in the past five days.  Nothing else has changed.  I don't buy the bad power as the cause.  Secured network.  Attached to surge protection.  Less than 1 year old.

Just got done chatting with tech support.  They had me change the MTU setting from auto to manual (1300)

jaymay

@JohnZ1:

Make sure that the firmware of the router is the latest. If not, proceed with upgrading the firmware. Upgrade instructions are here. After the upgrade, do a hard reset on the router - push and hold the reset button using a pin or paper clip for 30 seconds then powe it off for 10-15seconds. Once the power light goes solid, reconfigure then the settings of the router.