kingeryck

WRT54G + torrents

Is there anyway to get the WRT54G to work with torrents? I know this is a common problem but I haven't found a solution.  When I download torrents, all other internet activity basically stops or is incredibly slow.  I can download torrents but I can't do anything else while I am doing that.

kriket011

Re: WRT54G + torrents

You need to configure your bittorrent client to limit bandwidth usage, particularly upload bandwidth. You need to set it up so that it uses up to 2/3 of your upload bandwidth. For example if your upload bndwdth is 1mbps, you limit your bt client to 768kbps.

In uTorrent it is simply done in Speed Guide menu dialog. There are presets, and you simply choose your bandwith speed from a dropdown menu and it sets up the client automatically.

You can do it manually too, following the guide at the beginning of this reply.

kingeryck

I don't think the problem is that it's using up all of my bandwith, because even if the downloads are going slow and I'm uploading like 4k/sec it still kills everything.  It's on port fowarding and I have a static IP which increased my download speed but didn't solve the problem.

peanuts

Are you getting this problem on specific computer or is it affecting all the computers in your network....?

kingeryck

I only download torrents on the PC that is hardwired to the router. When I do, both the PC and Macbook lose internet.
peanuts

If you are using Torrent on any one of your computer, torrent application will use the ful bandwidth from your Router. So you can create a QoS Rules and assign a bandwidth so that when you use Torrent on your computer you other still be able to go online.

kingeryck

How do I do that?

peanuts

Read this link.It will help you to setup the QoS on the linksys router.

kingeryck

Even when I set the limit to Low, it still downloads really fast and interrupts other online activity.