Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ashlar

WRT54G username and password?!

Trying to set up a more secure router so the first thing I did was changed the default password now when I try to login I get the feeling it wants a username as well as the new password. I never created a username and the new password will not work...what gives? Many thanks for your help and time =D
Shanec

Re: WRT54G username and password?!

Dont know what happened. To fix it hit the reset button on the back of the router. You will need a ball point pen or somthing to press the button. Hold it in for about 10 seconds. This will set your router to the factory defaults. Then you can log in with         admin      . Try to change it again. Hope this helps.
Frunple

Actually its 30 seconds to return to defaults.

Did you happen to try the password admin again??
Maybe the new one never was saved.
lalaloriii

i have the same problem and i hit the reset, but the admin password still wont work. my laptop won't connect either because it is asking me for a password, but nothing works, not my password or admin.
♥lalaloriii
Frunple

lalaloriii wrote:
i have the same problem and i hit the reset, but the admin password still wont work. my laptop won't connect either because it is asking me for a password, but nothing works, not my password or admin.

You cant just "hit" the reset button, you have to hold it down for thirty seconds or more.
lalaloriii

lol, yes i know. i held down for over thirty second, maybe even a minute. and i tried it a couple times.
♥lalaloriii
lalaloriii

and frunple, i've been looking around the forums and noticed you help a lot of people. thanks so much, it is greatly appreciated. im glad to see there are still nice people around :smileywink:
♥lalaloriii
askme

Sometimes is very strange, I reset my router so many times, even more than 30 seconds, sometimes ON and OFF router during reset process (as mentioned in some of the forum) but surprise to note that still old password works. Furthermore, I upgraded the firmware but still password working. I have WTR45G v5 router.
Frunple

Your welcome lalalorii!! :smileyvery-happy:

Did you try to powercycle the router after the 30 sec reset??

Just disconnect the power cord for a minute or 2 and see what happens.
Just something to try.
Ashlar

Strange, I use the same password for everything (not good I know) I have the sneaking suspiscion that there might be a nickle sized battery in the unit and since this router is over 5 years old, could be need of a replacement? I know I saved that bugger =D