OrbitCowboy

WRT54G v.5 - how to "turn off" the firewall

My router/WAP is the default gateway & firewall for my LAN. I want to conduct an experiment whereby my LAN has no firewall for a period of time. How do I stop this unit's firewall rules? Asked another way, how do I "allow all", allowing all connections into my LAN from any source?

Re: WRT54G v.5 - how to "turn off" the firewall

to disable the firewall on a service pack 2 win xp PC, just go to your local area connection properties, go to advance tab, click on settings, turn it OFF there...

"a helping hand in a community makes the world a universe"
OrbitCowboy

Thanks for that ... but I want to disable filtering on the WRT54G itself, so that it acts only as the default gateway/router, and not as a firewall. I'm planning to observe my "honeypot" PC become infected, and I need the router in place, to connect to my ISP.

you can just go to the security tab of the router's set-up page, disable the filter, and disable the "enable block internet request"

"a helping hand in a community makes the world a universe"
iktomi

I have no tab to go to, I want to turn off security so I can connect with second comp to download, but cannot find a way to turn off security. everything I try is only secure the net, I want to turn it off
Expert
Expert

[ Edited ]
You cannot simply turn off firewall the way you want it. It is impossible to get direct access into your LAN as long as the router runs as gateway (which it usually does because your ISP only reserves a single IP address for you). To allow any connection from anywhere into your LAN is thus impossible because there is a NAT gateway in between which must translate IP addresses from the one internet IP address to your private network. That is the reason why you have to configure port forwardings in the router if someone is supposed to access something inside your LAN.

Your WRT should have a security tab in the web-configuration http://192.168.1.1/ . There you should be able to turn off the "firewall". However, this only turns off the firewall of the router itself on the internet, i.e. anybody is able to access the router from the internet and is able to access the web configuration from the internet. Thus, this firewall is something completely different from the "protection" of your private LAN due to the NAT gateway.

What comes closes to what you want (I think) is to configure a DMZ host in the router. You assign the IP address of the computer you want to be accessible from the internet in the DMZ configuration. That way all ports which are not forwarded elsewhere will be forwarded to the DMZ host. The DMZ configuration is also on the web configuration of the router.

Message Edited by gv on 12-01-200601:22 PM

Anthony1530

[ Edited ]
Hi..I just got my ps3 and i have the same exact router as you i can help you...Only if you have Zone Alarm firewall because thats what i have .. I might cant get it working a 100% but a lot so either send me a friend invite on the ps3 my name is Anthony1530 or just reply and if anyone has the same router just hit me up

Some times When i click on some thing for the internet on thee ps3 my router shuts off

Message Edited by Anthony1530 on 11-06-2007 11:11 PM