Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lcason

WRT54G v8.00.0 will not update DDNS

I just setup a new custom DDNS account with DynDNS, and got the following error on WRT54-g v8.00.0

"Name resolver fail, DDNS update fail!"

I sent DynDNS an email and they said it was not their problem, that I needed to contact Linksys.

I got a similar error on a trial TZO acct:
"TZO echo server update public ip fail"

ISP is Cox Cable, Fairfax, VA
Cable Modem: Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2
MAC: 001AC359F962

Is it possible that the ISP is blocking this transaction? Suggestions on how to solve this problem? I really wanted to use the router rather than running some client on one of my machines on the network if possible.

Thanks,

Lee Fairfax, VA USA
TZO-Dot-COM

Re: WRT54G v8.00.0 will not update DDNS

Most likely this was a local DNS issue. If both TZO and DYNDNS didnt work and stated a failure, the local DNS (your ISP's DNS) could have been having problems. This could cause the router to have trouble finding the domain name pointing to the TZO echo servers and thus causing the failure. I'd reboot the router or try to re-save the settings and see if this fixes the issue. Please re-open your TZO Support ticket on our helpdesk if you continue to have problems with this. You can also try updating the firmware (if there is a new version) and see if that helps
lcason

OK, so I have had email dialogs with both TZO and DynDNS, and am now convinced that the problem is a bug in my new WRT54G v8.00.0

QUESTION FOR LINKSYS: Is there some way I can get your product to work as advertised? It is supposed to work with DynDNS but doesn't. They checked their logs and no traffic of any kind ever made it to their server. I've confirmed with my ISP that they do nothing to block DDNS. The only firmware update available is 8.00.2 and it says nothing about fixing DDNS.

Suggestions please?

Thanks,

Lee
Joe D

Running WRT54G with V8.00.2 and DDNS worked with no problem to DYNDNS.
ibn basuki

[ Edited ]
Hi, I had the same problem with my WRT54G v7.00.5 firmware.

I believe the problem is because our routers are unable to resolve domain dyndns.org to its IP address.

Using the utility CD from Linksys, I got the message that my router is not connected to the internet although the computers in my network can connect to the internet.

In the admin web, I went to "Administration" tab >> "Diagnostics" sub-tab >> Ping >> enter "dyndns.org", 5 times >> click Ping and the dyndns.org was not resolved.

I then entered "dyndns.org", 10 times >> click Ping >> and strangely enough, my router is now able to resolve dyndns.org

I rechecked the DDNS settings and now it's working!!

Therefore, my suggestion is for you to play around with the diagnostics tab and hope you get the same result as I had.

You might also want to try the Traceroute. I hope this helps : )

Cheers, arief bin basuki

Message Edited by ibn basuki on 12-15-2007 02:00 AM
LeonardoV

Use the same UCase of your username in dyndns.
hcliii

I have the same problem with a version 6, firmware 1.02.5.  I tried changing the ping from 5 to 10 and it worked with mine as well.  I hope it "learned" something, I don't want to have to do this every time my IP changes.
destructar

I'm having the same issue with DynDNS and WRT54G version 8.2.05 Any official word on this?
derekfl

[ Edited ]
I am having this exact same issue, but changing the ping count to 10 does not resolve my issue.  I can also ping dyndns.org through Windows with no problem.
Message Edited by derekfl on 01-10-2009 04:17 AM