Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
sprungy

WRT54G (version 2) new firmware (Feb)

[ Edited ]

like many users with a WRT54G (version 2), firmware version 4.21.4 thoroughly pooched my router. Had to go through numerous hoops to downgrade to an earlier version.  Well Linksys has finally acknowledged a problem.  4.21.4 was pulled from their site. 

4.21.5 is available now.  See release notes below.  Worked great for me!

Kudos to Linksys for continuing to support older products.

Cisco Consumer Products
Product:         WRT54G Classification:  Firmware Release History Release Date:    Feb 24, 2012
Last Firmware Version: 4.21.5

Firmware 4.21.5 (build 0) - Resolved issue with firmware 4.21.4 causing malfunction on v.2 hardware

sobri

Re: WRT54G (version 2) new firmware (Feb)

Tried to update fw from 2.0.4ish to 4.21.5 and failed (hw v2). What version were you coming from? Thinking that the jump mightbe too far. Any insight? Thanks!
ScarletJamie

sobri wrote:
Tried to update fw from 2.0.4ish to 4.21.5 and failed (hw v2). What version were you coming from? Thinking that the jump mightbe too far. Any insight? Thanks!

Reset the router first and try to update. After updating the firmware, make sure to reset and reconfigure the device.

sobri

Thanks for the quick response and sorry for the delay in between.

I've tried this repeatedly.  No success or as my router says, "Upgrade are failed."

If anyone as any thoughts on why this is happening, I'd be most appreciative.  If not, I'll look into some open source options.  If that fails, I'll assume some hw issue and not waste a minute longer on this.

Thanks!

jaymay

It's really possible that the reason why the upgrade is failing is that the jump is too far. In upgrading the firmware, it should be ladderized. Upgrading it to the latest firmware might get the device working or will brick the device completely. But still, it will be your discretion to proceed or not. For your case though, you already tried upgrading it with the 4.21.5 firmware but you are prompted with "Upgrade are failed" message. It's possible that it's the router itself that doesn't accept the new firmware.

sobri

That was my first thought -- an upgrade too far, so to speak.  The problem is that I cannot find an older major version of a firmware upgrade (say, v3.x.x).  Apparently, I've waited too long to upgrade firmware and there aren't any archives.  Not on the official site, at least.

I'm not worried about bricking the router with 4.21.5 since it fails everytime I try it.

According to Linksys/Cisco, this upgrade is for my version of the device.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where I might find version 3.x.x of the firmware, I could sure use the help.

Thanks.

Jake_2.0

This the old ftp site wherein you can download the old fimrware:ftp://ftp.linksys.com/ but it is no longer working. Maybe you should consider loading a 3rd party firmware.

kawal

Jake, why would you give us an FTP site that DOES NOT WORK?

steve3mm

I performed the same upgrade a while back and my router is bricked and I can't upload the new firmware.  Can you tell me how you got to load an old firmware loaded?

Jake_2.0

To unbrick the router, try to perform the 30-30-30 reset, If the router will now respond to the computer to to flash the firmware with the correct version and then reconfigure the router's settings.