Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Vintage House

WRT54G, where can I get the install software?

I got my WRT54G from my son when he moved out of his apartment but he could not find the manual and software, I can download the manual but what about the software? I got laptop for xmas and it has Vista Premium on it and I want to install the Linksys but I am not sure about the software, do I have to have it to install?
Thanks,
Mike
toomanydonuts

Re: WRT54G, where can I get the install software?

[ Edited ]
You do not need the software to use the router.

Before setting up a router, you should reset it to factory defaults using the reset button on the back of the router.

You can then connect to the router by wiring your computer to a LAN port on the router, then point your browser to 192.168.1.1 and login to the router. (Note: Do not connect your modem until after the router is setup.)  After the reset to factory defaults, the User Name is blank, and the Password is "admin"  (with no quotes).  This will take you to the router's setup pages.  All the router's settings can be made from these pages.

Alternatively, you can go to Linksys.com and use the "EasyLink Connect" software to setup your router.  This software is optional, and is only used to setup the router.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 02-01-2008 02:18 PM
Vintage House

THANKS!
Mort

You can download it from www.linksys.com/easy
maui29111

if easylinkconnect doesn't work (coz sometimes it doesn't work with the vista OS) you can try and manually configuring again your router...
craigewalli

i have been having set up issuesi read and proceded with the steps show but had no luck when i went to reset to the default the router said tere was no net to i couldnt do the admin password setup and i tried to download the software for the router and its in a binary format and as i read in the websit its suppose to be in zip file i dont know what to do and i really want to get this router up and running could someone help me im using cable connection with windows xp i dont have the cd nor manual and im pretty much dead in the water please help.

bjfinegan

I hand to reset my Linksys back to factory setings and I dont have the original software or the setup instructions.  How can I get them?

Administrator
24JUAN80

Welcome to the Cisco Home Community.

Pull up your browser and type 192.168.1.1

Follow which ever is applicable.

Setting-Up a Router with DSL Internet Service

Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Search Function is your friend.... and Google too.

How to Secure your Network
How to Upgrade Routers Firmware
Setting-Up a Router with DSL Internet Service
Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service
How to Hard Reset or 30/30/30 your Router
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
genedelisa

In 2012 with any modern browser, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, you will not be able to use the web based admin page. The Javascript that generates the page outputs invalid HTML.

So, in a word, your're screwed unless you have an ancient computer somewhere.

Expert
sabretooth

This thread is 1.5 years old.  close.