WRT54G2 Random Slowness on Wired Connection

I have a WRT54G2 v1.5 that is acting up.  It was running fine for 2 months and suddenly it seems to be randomly throttling my high speed cable speeds down.  I used to get 16mb plus but now it barley registers 1mb on Speakeasy Speedtest.  This is on a wired PC, the wireless also drops completely when this happens.  I can sometimes get it back to speed by rebooting the system or hard reseting the router (back to factory default)  I have also tried updating the firmware twice to no avail. 

I actually chatted with Linksys Customer Service and obtained a RMA number as they think it is a defective unit, but I wanted to ask you guys before I take my network down for 1-2 weeks waiting for a replacement.  Could this happen due to channel conflict with a neighbor?  I do show several other networks in my area...any ideas would be appreciated before I pack this thing up and send it back.  It is really odd that it works sometimes and then just falls flat on it's face at other times.  BTW, it does always maintains a connection...just a really slowconnection!

Re: WRT54G2 Random Slowness on Wired Connection

have you tried resetting the router after upgrading the router's firmware...If not then,reset the router and reconfigure it from the scratch.

On the setup page of the router,change the wireless channel to 11 or 9,disable Block Anonymous Intertnet Request under Security tab and check the result. 

Re: WRT54G2 Random Slowness on Wired Connection

I have tried all reset procedures...I also switched the channel to 6 (my router needs to work with Nintendo DS and they only function on channels 1, 3 and 6)  I also changed the MTU to auto and I seem to have favorable results.  I was able to peg 24mb on my wired pc last night!  Just need to see if it stays like this or reverts back to slow.