jb977

WRT54G2 as an access point

My situation is this:

I have a WRT54G as my main router, hooking my desktop, printer, external HD and two laptops together as a wireless network

I also have a BD player and a Satellite STB that have ethernet ports for connecting to the internet for their respective functions (BD Live and On Demand)

I got the WRT54G2 to use as an access point to connect the BD and Sat wirelessly to the internet to make use of their functions. Hook the ethernet cables from either box to the lan ports and use the wireless function to communicate with the 54G to get whatever info is being requested.

The lit for the G2 touts it as being able to be used as an access point.  But in a chat with a Linksys tech, he said I cannot use it in conjunction with my 54G, and suggested a wireless bridge or access point , which means I would need a hub to connect the two boxes to the network. I was hoping for as simple an operation as possible and as inexpensive as possible.

Any ideas how to make it work? Would I need to swap my routers around? (G2 as main and 54G as access pt)

Thanks for any help....

kevj

Re: WRT54G2 as an access point

You would need to use 3rd party firmware on the routers that supports bridging the routers together over a wireless link. At 54Mb/s wireless speeds you would only see something less that half that speed over the bridged link though. The best way to do this is to run an ethernet cable from your existing router, and connect it to an ethernet switch near the BD and Sat boxes, then connect them to the switch. Overall, the performance will be much better.
-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
jb977

The only problem with one aspect of your solution is that the 54G router is upstairs and the G2 would be downstairs with the BD and Sat and HDTV. And I have no way to run ethernet cable to it.
kevj

So it looks like you'll have to go to either a wireless bridge or the 3rd party firmware for the routers....to use the WRT54G2 as it is will require it be cabled to the WRT54G
-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
Mort

You can go for WET200(Wireless Bridge) as you will get 5 Ethernet Ports to attach five different devices with Ethernet Cables and it will communicate wirelessly to your router...With this set-up you won't need an extra hub or switch...