Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jhaarsma

WRT54G2 - connection problem wireless

Since some months I have a very annoying problem with my Linksys WRT54G2.

When I connect a wireless device (laptop, phone, TV, Ipad) to my wireless network I only see a Local connection, no connection to internet. After resetting the router (power off for several seconds) the internet-connection is available again.

I have to do this every 1 - 2 days.

This is very disturbing; how can I resolve this problem?

Some settings in my router:

Security: WPA Personal / TKIP / renew key after 3600 seconds (I can not turn this off).

Firmware version: 1.0.01

Thank you for any reaction.

Best regards, Jacco.

ridcully

Re: WRT54G2 - connection problem wireless

Let me know the name of the ISP (Internet Service Provider)? What is the IP address that you are getting from the Router? You can check the IP address in the following manner:

If you wish to find out your own IP address, you should run the same ms-dos prompt by clicking Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. A black pop up box should come up, type: "ipconfig /all" … There check the IP address and Default Gateway under LAN….

# Open up the browser and on the address bar type “IP address of Default Gateway” that will open up the Router setup page…

# Then Click on wireless Tab create the Wireless Network Name SSID and select the channel to 6, 9, and 11… Click Save Settings...

# Then Click on Wireless Security sub tab and select the security mode and provide the password as per the requirement… Click Save Settings...

Secondly avoid using any other wireless devices like cordless phones, microwave oven etc nearer to the Router…Then try to connect the Wireless Laptop to the required network, once it gets connected check if you can go online….

jhaarsma

Provider = XS4ALL (Netherlands)

IP-address = 192.168.0.224

default gateway = 192.168.0.1

Router setup page:

ssid = linksys

channel = 11

Yesterday I tried to connect my Ipad --> no connection. After renewing the lease my Ipad connected.

Regards, Jacco

ridcully

Okay, First change the SSID of your router from 'linksys' to a different name. There could be a possibility of somebody else have a wireless network with the same SSID.

Next, try switching to different channels, (1, 6 or 9). Basically the wireless devices are losing connection to the wireless router.

The steps to login to the router and change these settings are mentioned in my previous post. If that doesn't help, then we might need to update the firmware of the router.

jhaarsma

Okay, thanks for your reply. Tonight or tomorrow night I will change some settings and see if it helps. I also change the settings in my wifi-extender.

I don't understand: until my holiday in March it worked great; just before my holiday I turned off router and modem. After the holiday I turned on router and modem again. Since then I have this problem. I did not change any setting.

Regards, Jacco.

jhaarsma

Unfortunately your solution didn't help; I chose a new ssid and another channel (6).

I think it has got to do with the security key, that expires after 3600 seconds. I can't turn this off. Do you know what happens when I choose for 0 (zero) seconds?

With my old simple Sweex-router I didn't have this problem.....

Regards, Jacco

yourawesomeness

Hey Jacco,

Key expiration doesn't really affect the connectivity, can you try switching the channel to 1 instead? And let's see what happens. :smileyhappy:

Audere est facere
jhaarsma

Due to my holiday I was not able to respond earlier.

I will try to switch the channel to 1.

Thanks for your message.