GraSan
Accepted Solution

WRT54G2 setup and using Linksys software

After installing the router and Linksys software (which had it's problems) I attempted to enter the setup using my browser and the address given in the instruction manual which I had downloaded from your site. This was 192.168.1.1. Although typing in this number produced the login pop up, when I typed in the default password, admim, I could not get into the setup pages. However if I used the gateway - advanced settings in the Linksys software I could get into the setup. I took me some time to spot that the address, when using the Linksys software was not 192.168.1.1 but 192.168.0.1. Is the published address in the manual wrong or is the installation routine incorrectly changing it.
Also when using the Linksys Advisor software selecting various options results in the error "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" - WHAT! If I don't quickly close the error box and close the option my computer starts to do all sorts of strange things and I have to switch it off as it wont shut down. Because of this I have had to uninstall the Linksys Advisor software.
Anybody any ideas.
Gra
ShinzooYuuru

Re: WRT54G2 setup and using Linksys software

Hello GraSan, your router's default ip is 192.168.1.1, if you're not getting this ip then try doing this steps manually without using the setup cd.

> reset router for 20sec while it's plug in to the outlet and just release it after

> unplug the power cord and wait for another 20sec and just plug it back after

*this should change the router's settings back to default which is your router's ip:192.168.1.1 and router password:admin(small letters)

> reconfigure the router again

*For CABLE internet setup, click here.

*For DSL internet setup, click here.

*If you've done all this, you can reinstall your Easylink Advisor. For update you can get it here.

------------------------------------------------------

"Nankurunaisa" "It will all work out just fine!"
Carrot

Once your router is installed you should use it's web interface to change it's settings...

If you want to use LELA you can download LELA from here

The default address of your router is always 192.168.1.1, your ISP might be DSL and that's why your router's address got changed to 192.168.0.1 when you configured it...

To double check the IP Address go to a computer that is connected to your router(hard wired) and click Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt...A black box will appear(Command Prompt)...In the Command Prompt window type ipconfig and press 'Enter'...Look for Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection IP Address , Subnet Mask and Default Gateway...The Default Gateway Address if the IP Address of your router...

GraSan

Hi,

ipconfig shows the gateway as 192.168.0.1

My ISP is Avanti Satellete and I connect to their modem via my LAN socket. The modem is mounted outside and wirelessly transmits to a host station installed at a neighbour's house. Via equipment there it is sent through a satellite dish to Avant's server. I am (and did) supposted to get a 1Mb/s connection but at the moment their system is getting overloaded and they are in the process of updating their equipment to solve the problem. Because the system performance can be iratic it sometimes makes it difficult to know if a problem with the connection is my end or their end!

Where I live ADSL broadband is not available and and even dialup is not good.

The Linksys Advisor appliation works but some of the options (eg: change wireless security, for one) result in the error message "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation". If I don't cancel the message, and exit the option, the computer starts to do strange things and leaves me no option but to switch off!!

Because of this I have uninstalled it.

Regards

Carrot

If the default gateway address shows 192.168.0.1 then your routers address had been changed to 192.168.0.1 and not 192.168.1.1 when you installed the router...

If you wish to change the wireless settings, 

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.0.1 and press Enter...
Leave username blank & in password use admin in lower case...
For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab
-Here select manual configuration...Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
-Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...

- Set the Wireless channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...
For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WEP, Encryption should be 64 bit.Leave the passphrase blank, don't type in anything...
Under WEP Key 1 type in any 10 numbers please(numbers only and no letters eg: your 10 digit phone number) and click on save settings...
Please make a note of WEP Key 1 as this is the Security Key for the Wireless Network...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 >>Click on "Save Settings"...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

If you want to use LELA you can download LELA from here

GraSan

Hi,

One I had discovered the required gateway address I did not have any problems setting up the router but my point was that the address 192.168.1.1 did not work after installation. I had to use 192.168.0.1. You seem to be saying that my modem changed this during the install. If this is the case then without me spotting this (using the Linksys software ie: gateway - advanced settings) I may never have been able to get into setup without using the Advisor software. How many other users have fallen foul of this?  Every post quotes 192.168.1.1 and nobody says it may be something else.

I also keep posting that I have this error when using certain options in Linksys Advisor: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" but I am not getting any reasons/explanations/cures. Does any one have any answers?

Regards

Carrot

If you are getting that error message when you make the changes on Linksys Advisor, this means that your Linksys Advisor is not installed on your Computer perfectly. I think you need to reinstall the Linksys Advisor on your Computer or else you can download the Linksys software from the Linksys website.

Might be your ISP or the Store Guy must have changed the LAN IP of your linksys router. Thats the reason now the IP address of your Router is 192.168.0.1... 

GraSan

Hi,

I have reinstalled Easylink advisor (twice) and the error messages still appear.

Regards

GraSan

Although not solved I am closing this link and opening a new one to show where I currently stand and maybe to help others. See "Installing a WRT54G2 - The story so far".

Regarsd

GraSan

Although not solved I am closing this link and opening a new one to show where I currently stand and maybe to help others. See "Installing a WRT54G2 - The story so far".

Regards