crzytenor

WRT54G2 v1.3. Cable connection fast. Slow wireless download, fast wireless upload

Hello. My router just started acting funny today after a year of no problems. My wired connection to my pc is acting normal (30mbps down, 8mpbs up). However, suddenly my wireless connections are VERY slow! I noticed when trying to watch Hulu on my ps3, but it is effecting each wireless device. Speedtest.net app on my iPhone shows 2.5mbps down, 8mbps up. 

WPA2 security, no torrents running, tried turning off all devices except one, power cycled a bajillion times.... the problem persists. Any suggestions? 

binaryspiral

Re: WRT54G2 v1.3. Cable connection fast. Slow wireless download, fast wireless upload

[ Edited ]

Sounds like you're experiencing wireless interference from what you've described so far. Check for new firmware updates and apply those first.

Still having problems?

Check your QoS settings too. Toggle them if they show inactive. Turn them on, then back off. Having a crazy slow download while still having blazing fast upload sounds like the router is doing some traffic shapping that it shouldn't be doing.

COntinue troubleshooting interference by: 

Start by running an extended ping from a wireless laptop to your router.

Open a command prompt on a WIndows computer by typing Windows+R then cmd.exe enter.

In the command prompt, just type: ping -t 192.168.1.1

This should begin pinging your router every second. Watch for any that don't respond. Let it run for a while then press CTRL+C to stop it

If you have anything more than 0% loss - then you have some interference causing problems on your wireless.

If you dropped no packets, try running the ping while moving a lot of data over wireless - fire up Hulu or youtube on the same laptop.

Try switching channels, or run a wireless scanner like inSSIDer (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) to see what channels are crowded - and move away from them. Try to stick with channels 1, 6, and 11 on a/b/g. You have many more options on N.

Also you may want to try to relocate your access point to a more centralized location - or even just elevate it or your PS3 to get a better signal.

In rare instances I've heard re-flashing the firmware with the same firmware can resolve some configuration issues - but normally a factory reset does the same thing.

As you can see, there is no one right answer - go methodically through each change and retest to see if the problem went away.

crzytenor

Re: WRT54G2 v1.3. Cable connection fast. Slow wireless download, fast wireless upload

Thank you for helping but none of these seem to work. I even picked up a new E4200 thinking that my router had just crapped out. I'm getting the exact same wi-fi download speeds and upload speeds 3x faster than down. It's driving me crazy because watching Hulu on my PS3 has become impossible. Please help. 

Brenda

what about changing the routers' MTU? Tried 1500 or 1364?