Dharma
Accepted Solution

WRT54G2 v1 Wireless Connection Problem

I installed router yesterday and after two tries got internet connection.  I couldn't go wireless then or today.  I have tried numerous times today, and my status says everything OK.  I removed the ethernet cable from my PC since it said everything OK, then lost internet connection!

When I try to fix wireless according to the Advisor, it says no wireless adapter found!  I have one jack, which is wired for a doorbell buzzing system and wonder if that is the problem.  (I had problems with my magicJack when I moved here and just got a landline phone two weeks ago because of  problems with this  jack!)   Could there be incompatibility issues between the wiring in the jack and router?  Except for the wireless connection, everything else is working fine!  Please help!

Thanks!

helm

Re: WRT54G2 v1 Wireless Connection Problem

I think it is not the issue with the wired connections.

You are trying to connect to the wireless network.

What is the operating system on your computer?

Go to Network connections and make sure that wireless network connection is there. Open the Device manager and search for Wireless network adapter under Network adapters. Make sure that it is enabled and working properly.

If you have wireless network connection working properly then right click on it and try to connect to the wireless network.

Dharma

My operating system is Windows XP.  I checked network connections; they're working.  I ran set up wizard and it gave me wireless network settings to use, but router had already set it up, so don't know what I'm supposed to do with those except save them. I am very confused at this point.  I thought that once I set up the wireless connection on the router, I was done.  I must be missing a step or something.  When I tried to set up again using the router, got the same no adapter found message.

I also changed to manual set up as opposed to "Wi Fi Protected Set up."  Should I change it back?

Please advise.  Don't know what to do.  Although I am very computer literate, first attempt at this and instructions with the router are not the best!

Dharma

Under Device Manager, "Network Adapter" is listed, not "Wireless Network Adapter."  So obviously that's where the problem lies, but don't know what to do at this point!

Brenda

from there can you state the name of the network adapter? Does it says "wireless" or something?

Not sure what you mean.

oook

I think your computer does not have wireless adapter installed.

Contact your computer vendor and see if you have wireless adapter installed properly on your computer. If the wireless adapter is not installed on your computer then you will need to get one wireless adapter.

bennor

[ Edited ]

Dharma wrote:

Under Device Manager, "Network Adapter" is listed, not "Wireless Network Adapter."  So obviously that's where the problem lies, but don't know what to do at this point!

Dharma, if there are no wireless network adapters" listed under the Device Manager and or no "wireless network connections" listed under Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, then chances you do not have a wireless adapter connected to your computer.

Since you previously appeared to indicate that you had your computer connected to the router via a wire (Ethernet cable), you can simply reconnect that cable from the computer's networking port to one of the four networking ports (labeled 1 through 4) on the back of the WRT54G2 router to regain your internet connection.

Dharma

That's what I think also.  Everything else works, so it must be something not related to the router.

Thanks for all the help, guys!  :-)

lovbug58

i have a dell laptop and they said it has wireless built in and i cant connect