WRT54GC packet loss nightmare

[ Edited ]
My WRT54GC has been intermittently dropping packets like crazy. I fired up an online game last week it was unplayable.

My ping fluctuates wildly between 250 and 999+. Packet loss comes and goes, never below 20% but in the space of five minutes it will hover in the 50-60% range. As of this moment, PL has been in the 70-90% range now for an hour or more.

I've done some testing and narrowed the problem down to the router.
I'm connected with a wire, so the issue isn't bad reception.
If I'm the only one connected to the router, the problem still exists.
If I connect directly to the modem, the issue disappears.
The problem comes and goes in frequent waves.

What have I tried? Well, I've replaced all the wires between the modem, the router, and my PC. The router is placed a few feet away from any magnets, wires, or electronic equipment. I've got the latest firmware for the router and reset it just to be sure. I ran through all the channels one by one to see if any of them would be cleaner. Nothing has worked.

Is there anything else I can do to reduce the PL on this thing?
Thanks, Jay

Message Edited by Jay Ray on 08-14-2007 03:14 PM

Re: WRT54GC packet loss nightmare

did you try upgrading / reflashing the router firmware ?? changing the MTU settings to 1400 ?? if not , give it a try and let me know if this makes any difference ..

I too am having the same type od problem with my router WRT54g ver 6.  The router used to be great but lately download speeds are horrible.   My ISP provides a 8.0Mbps connection.  I used to get about 7000-7600 kps download speeds using speakeasy speed tests, but lately those speeds have dropped to 140-590 kps.  I plug directly into my modem and my download speeds were actually over 8000.  I have tried all of the same tips/tricks that the other author has tried but to no avail.  Any suggestions to fix this problem?

Hmm. Router MTU now = 1400. After several hours of observation, the packet loss comes and goes just as frequently. Would it matter if I also changed the MTU on my PC?

Problem solved. New router.

Proble, not solved for me, would rather not buy a new router.....

Router is WRT54G, ver 6
Firmware is 1.02.2

I am having a similar problem.  In my case it is definitely related to the router losing power.   If I lose power, the router seems to lose it's mind and makes my network unusable.  Pings report 60 to 100% packet loss.  My ISP looked at my network and saw the packet loss as well. After a power loss if I reset the router and then configure it to secure it, things work ok. 

I upgraded to the latest firmware over the weekend and things are better in comparison to what used to happen.  Before I upgraded the firmware if I lost power the router became unreachable, my password did not work so I could not log in.  The first time I thought I had been hacked!  I always have to reset the router simply to access the config.  Now I have to reset it because though I can access the router with the correct password my network is a mess and nothing works.

This is not related only to wireless since most of my access is done through hardwired connections.  this is not related to MTU or any other setting.  What I have to do to get it to work again is reset and reconfigure the router (SSID change, admin PW change, etc)