Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
brunoscunha

WRT54GL as an AP to have stronger signal

[ Edited ]

Hi

I have a WRT54GL router and I would like to use it as an Ap connected to the main wireless router, so I can extend the wireless at my home. The signal strengh at my sons room is really weak and therefor unstable. In the WRT54GL it does not have (at least I don't see it) an option to use as an AP. Is there any way to make it work and having a stronger signal in my son's room?

What i would to do is the folowing -> Click here

Thank you

Message Edited by brunoscunha on 03-27-2009 11:09 AM
Message Edited by brunoscunha on 03-27-2009 11:09 AM
toomanydonuts

Re: WRT54GL as an AP to have stronger signal

This can be done, but only if you are willing to "wire" the two routers together.  Typically this is done with ethernet cable, but, in place of an ethernet cable, you could use a pair of powerline adapters.  Powerline adapters (such as the PLTK300)  let you use your existing home electrical wiring in place of an ethernet cable.  Of course, if you are using the PLTK300, you might prefer to skip the extra wireless router and simply wire your son's computer to the PLTK300.  Note that powerline adapters require that both adapters be connected to circuits that are on the "same side" of the electrical box.

If you are willing to use ethernet cable or the PLTK300, let me know, and I will fill in the details.

The diagram you posted suggested that you wanted to wirelessly connect the WRT54GL to your main wireless router.  This cannot be done, at least not with Linksys firmware.   You might be able to connect the two routers wirelessly by using third party firmware, such as "dd-wrt".   However, this brings up another problem:  If you cannot get a stable wireless connection to your son's wireless computer, why do you think you could get a stable wireless signal to the WRT54GL, even if you did use third party firmware?

Carrot

If you want to connect the WRT54GL router wirelessly to the main wireless router, it is not possible with the linksys firmware...It is however possible if you want to connect both the router's with ethernet cables...
brunoscunha

Thank for your anwser. I thought if I could connect the WRT54GL as an AP it would receive a stronger signal than the wireless G adapter