Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
tigerb

WRT54GL - how to restart?

I just got myself a WRT54GL V1.1, updated to the latest FW 4.30.9 and everything is working just fine:-)! With my old Dlink DI-604, I could: 1)Release DHCP 2)Run Setup Wizard 3)Enter a new MAC address (from any of my 3 NICs) 4)Hit "RESTART" and my cable modem's PC/ACTIVITY light would stop blinking for few secs and I would hit "close" and I would get a new IP address from my ISP 95% of the time. With the new WRT54GL, I could: 1)Release DHCP 2)Run Setup Wizard 3)Enter a new MAC address (from any of my 3 NICs) 4)**there is NO restart button? except "save settings" and once I hit the "save settings", no pausing of the blinking light from my cable modem....and I could only get new IP address from my ISP 25% of the time? I'm guessing the "stop/pausing" of the blinking light from my cable modem is equal to power down/restarting my modem, hence how do I do this with my new WRT54GL? Thanks in advance for your help.
Expert
Expert

Re: WRT54GL - how to restart?

You should only run the setup wizard once. Afterwards you configure the router at http://192.168.1.1/

You can enter any MAC address you want. You don't have to pick one of your NICs. You can choose any random MAC address as long as it is not your modem's or the one on the other side of the modem connection.

The router does not have a restart button. You have to unplug it from power to fully restart. Some other changes in the configuration may also result in a restart though it not necessarily makes a difference to what happens.

With DHCP it is possible to request a certain IP address. The DHCP server may or may not follow this request. DHCP does not define when or what IP address a client may request and if or if not the server may or may not assign the requested address.

I guess the linksys router automatically requests the previous IP address which very often your ISP will actually assign if the address is not used otherwise. Your Dlink did not request the old IP address thus your ISP did not know about it and simply assigns a new IP address to the new MAC address.

You could try to change the MAC address on the router without releasing the DHCP lease. When you renew the lease manually in the router the DHCP server may assign a new IP address as the old one is still in used by the old MAC address. But then it may also happen that your ISP gets a little bit annoyed if you occupy several IP addresses at a time...
tigerb

Re: WRT54GL - how to restart?

Thanks gv, I 'll give that a try. Setting a new MAC ID without "Releasing " is something I've not tried! My current plan with my cable ISP includes 2 dynamic IPs (and I currently have both of them activated, however I can only use one at any time) and I was told by a top tier tech support that my IP address would only change if : 1)Cable modem power off for 4 days 2)New NIC/MAC #s as my ISP cable modem would assign new a new IP once it sees a new NIC/MAC address Before knowing changing the MAC thru that router, even powering off my PC every night and without powering down my cable modem, my IP address would always remain the same even after 1 yr! Best regards.