darylu

WRT54GL to WRT54GL as repeater

Hi, I finally got my WAP11 eliminated and set up a WRT54GL for better security with the WPA and MAC filtering. This creates some questions. 1. I purchased a second WRT54GL in hopes of using it as a repeater. I can't find directions to do so. I found info on using a WRT54G to do this; but the menu on the GL does not seem to support this. Can I do this? If not, which hardware would I use to maintain the WPA security? 2. I could not get it to work with the self-install method on the CD. I have a Speadstream 4200 router for DSL service with Windstream. When I tried to hook that through the GL, it seemed to work then did not. Maybe it was when I had the DHCP set, but I switched to fixed IP. So, I have a small network set up through a switch and just put the GL into that as well as the 4200 and used my fixed IP addresses for my machines and it worked fine. In the GL user's manual for the static IP addresses, it has "Internet IP Address". I did not know what to put there. It seems not to matter the way I have it set up now. Maybe I needed something from Windstream there. Is that the number that the 4200 shows as "PPoE 0/35" then an IP number? Should I leave well enough alone or is there a reason to run the 4200 through the GL? I don't know alot - just enough to be dangerous!
sharkbyte

Re: WRT54GL to WRT54GL as repeater

You can't make a router a repeater of another router. Just not possible. Hardware limitation. Not sure though if there are 3rd party firmwares capable of doing that.
gandalf

Feel like its not possible. Get a WRE54G range extender, or WAP54G and set it in wireless repeater mode.
sunn

Should work. Have a look at

http://www.marklangenfeld.com/2008/10/26/convert-a-fon-wrt54gl-into-a-dd-wrt-repeater/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/890888.html