Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
MARK0163

WRT54GS: Why do I have two different Ip Address within one Router?

I can access my Router with these two following IP Address: 192.168.1.100 and 75.74.168.193

Did I set up something wrong?

When I ran IPconfig, I have 192.168.1.100

and  Status at the router I have 75.74.168.193

Thanks

Mark
Expert
Expert

Re: WRT54GS: Why do I have two different Ip Address within one Router?

Are you sure you can access the router web interface on http://192.168.1.100/ ?? Are you sure it is not http://192.168.1.1/ ??
192.168.1.100 should be the IP address of your computer but not of the router. Linksys routers have 192.168.1.1 by default.

Your router always has two IP addresses. That's why it is a router. It connects two IP subnets. For this the router must have an IP address in each IP subnet.

On the LAN side of the router you use a private IP address subnet 192.168.1.*. The router usually has 192.168.1.1 on the LAN. Your private IP addresses are limited to your LAN. All internet routers will simply ignore packets with source or destination address of 192.168.*.*.

On the WAN/internet side your router has a public IP address. Public IP addresses are accessible from the internet. As your router is connected to the internet is has a public IP address.

Your router will accept packets from the LAN on the private IP address and will forward them into the internet. It will in return accept packets from the internet on the public IP address and will forward them into your LAN. As you use private IP addresses inside your LAN it will also map the public IP address to the private IP address on the way through.

From inside your LAN, you are always able to access the router on both IP addresses, i.e. http://192.168.1.1/ and http://75.74.168.193/ will show the same router configuration page. This only works from inside the LAN. The router is intelligent enough to notice that the 75.74.168.193 is actually its own public IP address and thus will simply accept the connection as if it was for 192.168.1.1.

However, unless you have enabled remote management on your router, it is not possible to access the router interface from the internet on either address. 192.168.1.1 is private thus is not transferred through the internet anyway. 75.74.168.193 is the public IP address. But for packets from the internet the router will not accept packets to access the router interface unless you enable remote management.

Thus, everything is fine with the two IP addresses (except the thing that you wrote you can access the router at http://192.168.1.100/).
MARK0163

You are right GV,

You sound more like Genius than an Expert.

Thanks a lot, now I understand a lot more. Now, I am going to figure out how to get video from my new WVC200 Linksys Internet Camera who's driving me nuts. I can get video within my local wireless network ( at home), but nothing over the Internet ( at work or else where).

Thanks a million "Genius V".

Mark 
Expert
Expert

Did you configure port forwarding on the router?

Moreover, to find the router in the internet in case the public IP address changed, it is helpful to use the DDNS function in the router and to subscribe to a (free) service like dyndns.org or similar (what ever is supported in your router).
MARK0163

[ Edited ]

GV, I really appreciate your help. As you will see, I have a lot of different IP’s and I do follow the steps required in the set-up.  I do try to increase security maybe that’s the cause of my problems.Well, I am going to write the steps I use to set-up the router and the camera, you tell me what I did wrong.  

Here we go!

Win XP-PC Local Area Connection:   Firewalled.

TCP/IP-properties:  Static

Use the following: IP Add :    192.168.1.20

Mask :      255.255.255.0

Gateway :    192.168.1.1

DNS 1 :          192.168.1.1

DNS 2                0.0.0.0

TCP/IP ADVANCE: DNS----APPEND THE DNS SUFIXES:  What is the meaning of the following?

UltimateSoftware.Com

USG.root.corp

Root.corp

During the Installation of the Camera CD-ROM .

IP Add :    74.75.169.10

Mask         255.255.255.0

Gateway  74.75.169.1

DNS 1       68.87.74.162

DNS2        68.87.68.162  

WARNING: IP Address of your Computer is not on the same LAN segment wt the wireless camera

Infrastructure--------

SSID---------------------

Channel--------------  7

WEP 128-------------- NOTE: I can’t even access the camera with:  192.168.1.115  

ROUTER:

BASIC SETUP:           STATIC IP:    74.75.32.255

MASK:      255.255.255.0

DHCP SERVER:     ENABLE

STARTING IP:     192.168.1.100

MAX DHCP:      50

DDNS:      DISABLE

MAC ADD CLONE:     DISABLE

ADVANCE  ROUTING:       GATEWAY---NO ENTRY (DEFAULT)

ROUTING----WIRELESS

BASIC WIRELESS  SETTINGS:---    G-ONLY

CHANNEL   7

SSID:   DISABLE

WIRELESS SECURITY :   WEP

WIRELESS MAC  FILTER: ENABLE, PERMIT ONLY

( NOTE: The right pc’s and laptop  Mac numbers  are being used)

Advance settings:  No entry (Default) 

Thanks

Mark

Message Edited by MARK0163 on 10-19-2007 11:30 PM
MARK0163

[ Edited ]

SECURITY:

FIREWALL   : ENABLE

BLOCK…       : ENABLE (CHECK)

FILTER           : ENABLE

FILTER IDENT: ENABLE (PORT 113)

VPN : All are enable   (Shouldn’t  they be disabled?)for more security!

Access Restriction : Default (no change, no entry)

Application & Gaming:   Port Forwarding:

Camera 1; 1024  ----1024---Both---192.168.1.10  Enable

Port Triggering:    No Entry  ???(What is the meaning of that?)

DMZ:     Disable

QOS:    Default ( No entry)

ROUTER  ADMINISTRATION:

ACCESS SERVER:   HTTP

WIRELESS ACCESS:  ENABLE

REMOTE MANAGEMENT:  DISABLE

UPNP:  ENABLE

ROUTER STATUS:                       

LOGIN TYPE:  STATIC

IP ADD:  74.75.32.255                    

MASK:  255.255.252.0                                    

DNS 1:  0.0.0.0                       

DNS 2:  0.0.0.0                     

DNS 3:   0.0.0.0

MTU:     1500

LOCAL NETWORK

IP ADD: 192.168.1.1

MASK:255.255.255.0

DHCP:  ENABLE

STARTING  IP: 192.168.1.100

ENDING IP:192.168.1.149

WIRELESS

MODE: G-ONLY

DHCP: ENABLE

CHANNEL:  8

Message Edited by MARK0163 on 10-19-2007 11:33 PM
Expert
Expert

What you post is a little bit confusing.

First of all, to correctly set up your router, you have to configure your router on the internet connection type as required by your ISP. Is it correct that your ISP has assign a static IP address to you? Did you ask for the static IP? Are you sure that you are not supposed to use DHCP?

Moreover, in the first post there is the following:

"STATIC IP: 74.75.32.255 MASK: 255.255.255.0"

This is impossible. In the second post there is subnet mask 255.255.252.0 which would allow the IP address.

Second, it is unclear to me why you use a different IP address on your computer while you install the camera or run the program on the camera CD. You should not do that.

Third, you have wireless mac address filtering enabled. The camera is not added there, yet. Thus it won't connect. I would recommend to disable the wireless mac filter until you have successfully connected the camera.

Fourth, you can disable all the VPN passthrough options unless you need to use VPN connections to your company or similar.

Fifth, in your second post DNS 1-3 from the router status are all 0.0.0.0. You have to set at least one DNS server on the router for a static IP address setup (another reason to use DHCP unless you really need the static IP). In the first post your computer had DNS servers 68.87.74.162 and 68.87.68.162. If those are the DNS servers of your ISP enter those IP addresses as DNS servers on the internet connection setup part on the router.

Sixth, why do you forward port 1024? Did you change the port on the camera to 1024? I thought the camera uses a normal web server to watch the camera feed and that web server uses a standard HTTP port 80. Please check the configuration/documentation of the camera if 1024 is in fact the correct port.

Seventh, did you configure a static IP address 192.168.1.10 on the camera?
MARK0163

[ Edited ]

GV,

Thanks again for taking the time to help and basically teach me.

I  am using a Static IP because I was told by one of the Linksys Tech support  sometimes ago that  I needed a Static IP in case of power loss and I was referred to Answer ID 534.

From your last post, I decided to reset the Camera and Router. I have reverted to Auto config DHCP on the Router.

I, therefore have the following:  (Basic Setup)     

Local IP     192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask       255.255.255.0

DHCP  Server       ENABLE

Starting  IP       192.168.1.100

Max DHCP       50

DNS1       0.0.0.0

DNS2       0.0.0.0

DDNS------------------------------------Disable

Mac Add Clone------------------------Disable (What’s the purpose Of Mac Clone?)

Advance Routing---------Gateway—No Entry (default)

Application & Gaming

Port forwarding:          

Camera 1    1024       1024        Both              192.168.1.10 Enable

Port Triggering:            No Entry (What’s the purpose of port triggering?)

DMZ                              Disable

QOS                             Default

Administration

Access Server                         HTTP  (Why not HTTPS?)

Wireless Access Web            Enable

Remote Management             Disable

UPNP                                       Enable

Status   

Router  

IP Address                               75.74.32.255

Sub Mask                                255.255.252.0  (How come I have 252 here?)

Default Gateway                 75.74.32.1

DNS1                                         68.87.74.162

DNS2                                         68.87.68.162

DNS3                                          0.0.0.0

MTU                                           1500

Status

Local Network

IP Add                                         192.168.1.1

Mask                                           255.255.255.0             

DHCP                                           Enable

Starting IP                                   192.168.1.100 (What’s the purpose of Stating IP?)

Ending IP                                     192.168.1.149 ( What’s the purpose of Ending IP?)

PC Windows XP Pro:  IPconfig/all

IP Add                         192.168.1.100

Mask                           255.255.255.0

Gateway                     192.168.1.1

DHCP                           192.168.1.1

DNS1                           68.87.74.162

DNS2                           68.87.68.162    

Local Area Network (Internet Explorer)

TCP/IP ---PROPERTIES

Change to obtain IP Auto.

TCP/IP ---Advance    

DNS:  Append the DNS Suffixes

UltimateSoftware.com

USG.root.corp

Root.corp     (What are these address doing hidden here?)

Wireless  Internet Camera    (Linsys Viewer /Recorder  and the Management utility) 

Static IP Address            192.168.1.115

Mask                                 255.255.255.0

Gateway                           0.0.0.0

DNS1                                 0.0.0.0

DNS2                                  0.0.0.0                                             

Message Edited by MARK0163 on 10-20-2007 08:26 PM
Expert
Expert

O.K. First let's configure everything correctly. Please go through this and answer all the questions or write what you did or found exactly. This is important for any further steps...

You wrote that you have reset the router. Still the port forwarding is there. What did you do exactly? Did you press the reset button for 30 seconds? The port forwarding should disappear after a full factory reset.

1. You have port forwarding of port 1024. Did you reconfigure the camera to use port 1024 instead of port 80? As far as I understand the manual the camera uses port 80 by default unless you configure an "Alternate Port". Only if enable the alternate port the default alternate port will be 1024. Please verify, that you have enabled the alternate port on the camera and that you have set port 1024. See the manual for details. I don't know the camera but I think if you can access the camera at http://192.168.1.115:1024/ it should be correct.

2. Next, change the IP settings of the camera. At the moment the IP address is inside the address pool of the DHCP server on the router (192.168.1.100-192.168.1.149). That's not good. Moreover, gateway and DNS servers are missing. Please set the following values on the camera for static IP on the camera:

IP 192.168.1.10
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS 1 68.87.74.162
DNS 2 68.87.68.162

After this change, the new IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.10 thus you should now be able to connect to the camera at http://192.168.1.10:1024/

O.K. That is the basic configuration. Now your camera is accessible from the internet. From a computer in the internet you can access the camera at http://75.74.32.255:1024/

A few more things to consider or as answer to your questions:

a) The public IP address 75.74.32.255 may change over time if your ISP assigns you a different IP address. In order to be able to find your camera in the internet even if the IP address changed use a DDNS service like www.dyndns.org or the Linksys service which is supported directly in the camera. You register for a normal hostname like example.dyndns.org and tell the router (or the camera) to update that hostname on that service each time the IP address changes. This way you simply access the camera on http://example.dyndns.org:1024/ instead of the IP address which may change. For best results, you should use the DDNS function on the router as only the router will know immediately when the IP address changes and thus when to update the hostname. The service on the camera may or may not work inside your private LAN. Even if it does work there will still be a delay between the time the public IP address changes and the time the camera checks for this again. Therefore, use the DDNS function on the router for this.

b) I don't know exactly why you have the DNS suffixes UltimateSoftware.com, USG.root.corp, Root.corp. I would remove them. I cannot find information about this.

c) Port Triggering is a mechanism to forward some ports based on traffic on some other ports. For instance FTP connects first through port 21 but then transfers data through port 20. With port triggering you can forward the port 20 automatically if traffic goes through port 21. You probably won't need this function.

d) Administration. You can enable HTTPS if you like. This option defines how you access the web configuration interface of the router, i.e. whether it is http://192.168.1.1/ or https://192.168.1.1/ If you network is protected and you never connect to the web interface 192.168.1.1 through a wireless link there is little to worry about. You can just leave it at HTTP. You could also disable the "Wireless Access Web" option. This prevents you from connecting to the web interface through a wireless link.

e) subnet mask. See wikipedia. The subnet mask basically defines how big the IP subnet is to which you are connected. You use subnet mask 255.255.255.0 with a LAN IP address of 192.168.1.1 which basically means that your LAN consists of the IP addresses 192.168.1.0-255 with 0 and 255 having special meanings. Anything else is outside your LAN. The computer will always send traffic to IP address outside this LAN subnet to the gateway address (your router) while it will send traffic to IP addresses inside your LAN subnet directly to the destination in your LAN.

The subnet mask is used binary. Each bit set in the mask means that the corresponding bit in the IP address belongs to the network potion. With subnet mask 255.255.255.0 this is easy because it all bits are set in the first three bytes, that's why 192.168.1 remains fixed while the last byte can vary in all bits, thus from 0-255. Your ISP uses a larger subnet 255.255.252.0. 252 is 11111100 in binary. The lowest two bits are 0. Those two bits don't belong to the network portion. With the IP address 75.74.32.255 this means that the following IP addresses all belong to the same subnet to which your router is connected on the internet port.

75.74.32.0 - 75.74.35.255

Again 75.74.32.0 and 75.74.35.255 have special meaning. The router is basically connected directly through the internet port to all IP addresses in this IP range. Anything else the router will send to the gateway on the internet port side which is 75.74.32.1 in your posted status.

Thus basically, the router will send 192.168.1.0-255 to the LAN side, 75.74.32.0-75.74.35.255 to the internet port side, and anything else to 75.74.32.1 on the internet side.

f) The DHCP server on the router assigns dynamic IP addresses do devices which use it. Your computer is configured to obtain the IP address automatically. For this it uses DHCP. It searches for a DHCP server on the LAN and gets an IP address from there. You configure the DHCP server on the router on the Basic Setup tab. At the moment you have configured starting IP address 192.168.1.100 and using 50 addresses which means the ending IP address is 192.168.1.149. Whenever a computer requests an IP address through DHCP it will get an IP address in this range.

O.K. I think that's it... I hope it works now.
MARK0163

[ Edited ]

GV,

I want to express a very special thanks and gratitude to you. There are more than sixty requests of help in this forum daily and I am so grateful and bless that you decided to read mine and helped me. I hope that when ever you have time, that you continue to help others as you so graciously helped me. You are a “Guardian Angel, V”, a great person and you have a tremendous heart, a very rare quality in this new world we live in.

Thank you so very much for your precious time and patience.  I got it working thanks to you.

You have been pressing the “Port Forwarding” so much, that I decided to read on it some more today and I finally got it. The problem was that I forgot to enable the Alternate port in the camera web utility, “Option tab at the bottom of the page: Upnp should be disabled and alternate port enable

Thanks again.

Mark

Message Edited by MARK0163 on 10-21-2007 10:10 PM