Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Chris_B

WRT54GS and wireless phone interference

Up until a few days ago, I had a 2.4 GHz wireless phone system in the house but was getting constant "clicks and taps" on the phone. Since the wired phones operated fine and had no intereference, I figured it was the router. Changing the channels didn't help. Then I read and also was told that I should convert to a DECT 6.0 (1.9GHz) wireless phone system because wireless router signals wouldn't interfere with it. Fortunately the phones are not that expensive and I did that this morning...problem is, the interference is still there. I've upgraded my firmware to the latest via suggestion from a helpful gentleman in Live Chat, and changed the channel to the highest in the range but am still getting the interference.....any ideas?
toomanydonuts

Re: WRT54GS and wireless phone interference

1)  This is very odd.  Do you have a DSL or ADSL system?  Or do you use cable or satellite?

2)  Also, does the problem stop if you unplug the router?

If you have a DSL or ADSL system, then you need "line filters" on all your telephones, fax machines, etc.   All telephone lines need a filter, except the line that goes to the modem.  Your ISP should have supplied you with these line filters.
Chris_B

[ Edited ]
In answer to your questions, the system is a cable system. The problem DOES go away when I unplug the router, and lastly, shortly after I posted my first message, someone from Linksys called to mention to me that I will have interference because my router has "Speedboost" technology. If I wanted the interference to go away, I would need a wireless router that can switch to higher frequencies, concidentally like the Linksys WRT55AG. The fact that this frequency problem was not indicated anywhere when I bought it irritates me to no end! 

Chris

(Mod Note: Edited due to non-compliance of forum guidelines.)

Message Edited by giantherockstar on 04-07-2008 05:49 AM
toomanydonuts

I must say, this gets more and more odd!

Did Linksys say that you would have this "click and taps" problem just with a 2.4 GHz phone, or did they say that it would also occur with your DECT 6.0 phone.  Did Linksys say that the interference was transferred wirelessly?

From all that I have read so far, the DECT 6.0 phones are not affected wirelessly by a 2.4 GHz router.   Also, since the router is on a cable modem (and not a DSL modem), then the modem and router are not connected to the phone line, so the interference is not coming by having all of these devices connected to the same phone line.  The only connection that the DECT 6.0 phone and the WRT54G share is a connection through the electric wiring of you home.  This seems like an odd place to be passing "clicks and taps".

Is the WRT54G router and the DECT 6.0 phone plugged into different sockets?

Chris_B

According to the person I spoke with at Linksys, he specifically said that the interference was caused by the "Speedboost" circuitry and that it would probably affect all wireless devices...including the DECT phones. In terms of in-house wiring, the cordless phone base is on a different circuit than the modem and router. I've spoken to several knowledgeable people about this, and it has baffled all of them! What's interesting is that my WRT54G router was fine...until it died several months ago, and I thought that getting the GS would be a step up....had I known that the interference problem existed, I'd have just bought another G!

penguinpages

I had a phone for a long time and it worked with my wireless WRT54G (v5) firmware WRT54Gv5v6_1[1].02.5.002_fw.bin for a number of years. The phone died and I have gone through four $70+ phones trying to get a phone which allows me to be on the internet and use my phone. I have tried the above suggestions. I have purcased a GE 2.9Ghz., GE 5Ghz which is suppose to scan for open channels. I have tried every channel option the router offers to try to get it to work on one. I have dropped it to just a B wireless band, then a G only and it does not matter. I don't know if I should blame the phones, or the wireless router. Any other suggestions?
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
I don't know where you found a "2.9 GHz" phone, unless perhaps you are outside the U.S.    In the U.S., many home wireless phones use 2.4 GHz, which commonly interferes with wireless b, g, and n routers.  Additionally, some 5+ GHz phones also use the 2.4 GHz band.

The safest pick is a DECT 6.0 phone.  This phone uses the 1.9 GHz band, and it should not interfere with your router. 

Additionally, there are some 5+ GHz phones that also use the 900 MHz band, and these are safe for now, for wireless b and g.  However, wireless n routers, are starting to use both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz bands.   So this type of phone might cause problems in the future.  

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 08-25-2008 01:55 AM
TommyPetersen

Only some 2.4 GHZ phones causes the nterference, it looks like newer models are more likely to do so than old ones.  I have the WRT54GS router, and the 5 GHZ phones I have do not seem to cause a problem, but, I have two brands of 2.4 GHZ phones and only one of them causes a problem, so it could be that I am just lucky with the 5 GHZ phones.

I think it is more a "feature" of the phones than of the router.